Large blue vase - looks old

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cacarpetbagger

Reaction score
I don't have a clue. Having said that I have a book by Cecil Munsey that has few pages of ancient bottles some of which have some of the characteristics that yours has. I wonder about the height as 14 inches is very tall for an ancient bottle. So if authentic maybe 11th or 12th century Persian? Also 6.5 lbs seems to be very heavy for an ancient bottle. I have another book that talks about late 17th century Venetian glass in which they experimented with lead oxide as a flux resulting in a "solid and heavy glass". You might want to research along those lines because if authentic you have a museum piece. Of course it could also be a recent art glass piece made by our friends from south of the border. Wish I could be more help, good luck.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cacarpetbagger
14 inches is very tall for an ancient bottle. Also 6.5 lbs seems to be very heavy for an ancient bottle.
That's exactly why I thought 'Art Glas', but I'm not thinking Mexico, I'm thinking a top shelf handmade piece from here or Europe...

KentOhio

Reaction score
I don't think it's old. There's a chemical used by glassblowers called "scavo" that corrodes the surface of glass to make it look ancient. Also, there is no wear on the base and the pontil looks like it was ground with a dremel tool. It's probably related to the fake Persian saddle flasks in my opinion.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
old is a relative term. Some people call me old.
My guess is it is 20th century.
Not sure I'd call it typical art glass since its not signed.
Too nice to be cheap import junk.
I'm thinking Italian, maybe Murano? Looks like a Romanesque piece.
$700 sounds real high without more details and provenance.
Just my lowly opinion for what its worth.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Another dollar bill [:)], now this site is worth $2 even if my opinion isn't.[:D][:D]
I'm not liking the base of the piece and I'll go with what ScottBSA said or something like that. Maybe late Victorian and into the 20th century.
I'd suggest taking to a qualified museum for a hands on look. Pictures aren't worth 1000 words sometimes.

Dollar_Bill

Reaction score
Took it to a local collector-expert in ancient Persian artifacts and culture. He says there is a "strong possibility" it is quite old. I was curious also about the base and lack of wear. He said it could have been buried in the sand for most of its life. Said it would be somewhere between 400BCE and 1700AD. Hard to tell with glass and the techniques for making pieces like this have been around for a long time.

My wife loves it, especially after I put a light inside it. Guests are blown away and it has become a centerpiece. Guess I'll keep it, whatever it is, it really is beautiful.

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
While I know nothing about antique Persian glass, I have the same reservations as others on here about it's age - especially lack of base wear and the pontil mark, but I don't know how bottles from ancient times fare in the desert climate. I tend to believe it's newer as well. That being said, it is a beautiful piece of glass and art glass can have greater values than antique glass oftentimes (according to Antiques Roadshow anyway!).
I really really really like it... although I'd suggest getting more opinions from other experts if you really want to know what it is and when it's from.
I'd want to see comparisons to other ancient Persian glass before believing what the expert told you.

dollarbill

Reaction score
Very pretty glass Dollar and great photos but like others I don't believe it to be that old. I to would need to see known artifacts to compare it to. I think this is a common art glass forum also. 700.00 is a lot of dollars Bill to put out for glass that most everyone is not sure about. Welcome and good luck.
Bill

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I was curious also about the base and lack of wear. He said it could have been buried in the sand for most of its life.
I never go by that for that very reason. Some swear that without base wear it can't be old but I disagree. I was referring the the base form itself. It looks a little too solid and perfect to me. I don't know ancient glass though, maybe they were that good.[8|]

beendiggin

Reaction score
It also struck me right away as similar to the Persian saddle flasks. That doesn't mean much, however. It certainly looks very old. I would take it to at least a few museums or other "experts" on early glass for more opinions. You'll get a better idea once those folks have held it in their hands. Physically holding a piece gives a lot of information.

Very attractive bottle.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583