Large Pottsville PA Find

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

pa digger

Reaction score
A big find was discovered on a construction site in Pottsville PA. The site is at union street and progress ave Pottsville PA and is operated by the W Lang co.

It was around the 1st week of deer season that the discovery took place. There was a machine operator that hit an old privy approx 30 feet down and up came a bunch of Pottsville bottles.

When this took place there was someone that was working on this site that was lining up the bottles along the retaining wall that is on the site and the machine operator not knowing what they had discovered smashed some of the finds with the bucket, but quite a few did survive the bucket. There was a worker that was on the ground at the time that saw the bottles and he put them in 4 paper bags, but he did not even wrap them to protect them.

He gave one bag to a friend and sold the other bags for $100 to someone from Bethlehem pa. I did manage to get a couple of the bottles from the friend, but he did tell me that the guy just threw them in the back of his pickup and upon showing them to him and opening up the tail gate of the truck some of them hit the ground and shattered. I was told that 2 of them that shattered on the ground were from St Clair pa.

I have 2 good sources that I got my info from and both of them told me the same story and these two people do not even know one another.
The finds that were discovered were a huge number of G Rosengarten iron pontils. I did wind up with 3 of these out of the 7 or so that I saw. I do know that more of these were found but they wound up in the other 3 bags that were sold.

Some of the other finds were open pontil meds, some G Rosengartens with glass works on the back in a dark green, a few 8 sided blue mineral waters, from Pottsville. A bunch of unembossed soda/min waters. Quite a few single taper top pontiled sodas with just an M embossed on it. Quite a few M.J. Seibert mug based sodas from Pottsville pa. And a few sodas from St Clair pa. All of the bottles found were iron pontiled and these are the just the ones, that I know of that were found.

Who knows what else was found. It’s a real shame about the ones that got broken by inexperienced people. To make a long story short I just thought that the bottle community should know about this quantity find in case you see one for sale so that you know that a large amount of these were found.

Later PA Digger

Attachments

• 5B9CE9F3F7CD483C8BB4C1BEC51DBA57.jpg
    5B9CE9F3F7CD483C8BB4C1BEC51DBA57.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 77

sandchip

Reaction score
And I always thought people knew from about the age of one year that...

GLASS BREAKS!!!

Geez, what a needless shame.

Bottleman

Reaction score
Wow, amazing story. What happened to the 8 sided blue mineral waters from Pottsville and the M.J. Seibert’s? What did you get, just the two Rosengarten’s in the picture? I remember seeing them on here a couple months ago. Cool story, thanks for sharing it.

pa digger

Reaction score
THE 8 SIDED MINERAL WATERS AND THE SEIBERT BOTTLES WOUND UP IN THE OTHER BAGS THAT WERE SOLD TO SOMEONE IN THE BETHLEHEM PA AREA.

PA DIGGER

pa digger

Reaction score
It's a shame that i did not get to this site sooner, it's all fenced in and any chance of getting a privy in there is gone.

PA DIGGER

Bottleman

Reaction score
Doug, did you try to trace down the M.J. Seibert bottles? I would have asked him who the guy from Bethlehem was and see if he wanted to sell them. If you ever do see them make sure you take a picture for all of us to see, I can only imagine how nice of a bottle those are.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mohib