larkin soap co. buffalo

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

batfish

Reaction score
Hi,

I found an interesting little bottle (about 2" high) with the following, barely legible, embossing:

Larkin Soap Co. Buffalo

The glass is extremely thick. It is clear, sqare, and unfortunetely, the top is broken off at the neck.

My Zumwalt's book has a blurb on Larkin - but not much info. Anyone have any info on this company and the vintage of their bottles?

Thanks!

ladyp3797

Reaction score
Hi Batfish,

This might help a litte:

http://www.bottlebooks.com/larkin.htm

http://ah.bfn.org/h/larkin/

Lady P

batfish

Reaction score
Thanks Ladyp!

The first page has my bottle. I lifted it's pic from the page and attached it to this message. Look how subtle the embossing is - it's really hard to read.

Looks like a lost a little more off the top than I expected! I'm missing the neck and stopper...

Om32909.jpg

Attachments

• Om32909.jpg
    Om32909.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 127

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi Batfish, LadyP has given you a good direction to go, the web site is great; Larkin has quite a history, they started with a few products and expanded into hundreds, and then puff! Whoops, you were answering while I was posting, regarding the missing top, I often find them loose, and try them on various bottles I dug with them missing, you'd be suprised how many fit![;)]

batfish

Reaction score
Larkin is interesting - I'll finish reading the page after I put my kids to bed. Almost sounds like Amway or something!

More good news from that page - the page says that the bottle pictured (the same one I found) was dug from an 1890s privy. I found this Larkin bottle with the Whiskey flask I posted about just before this. OddDump thinks the flask might be late 1800s, too.

These bottles came from a new cache I found in my 20s-30s dump. I had previously found one other old bottle in this dump - a blob top Schlitz - and was wondering where it came from - it was mixed in with a bunch of 30s shards.

Now I think I know - it rolled down the ravine! Looks like the top of the ravine has the good stuff! I think there is still more where these came from. I'll probably be back out Friday!

David E

Reaction score
Hi, says here brieflyl1909 to 1920 Larkin bottles manufactured by the company owned Greenburg Glass Co in Greenburg PA.
Advertisements show the firm John D Larkin Soap, in 1875.
They also sold Pottery,furniture,clothing,paint and even some food products.
Liquidated most in 1942.

Dave

ladyp3797

Reaction score
Ahhh the investigation of the history of your treasure...that's what has me hooked. Old or new, the discovery process is addicting! [;)] LP

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Here's my Larkin soap with stopper. I dug it myself. Also pictured are my "Ozomulsion", and my ABM Poison. I dug the poison, bought the Ozomulsion.

Qn38268.jpg

Attachments

• Qn38268.jpg
    Qn38268.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 96

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member