Leaded tin (early fruit jar?)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Here is an early leaded tin. I assume that this is collectible. Anyone have a feel for the value. It has no label. It is not stamped or imprinted. It is about the size of a soda can. Thanks in advance, Bob

97A331B9246C499E88C76A3F1F7DFEB4.jpg

Attachments

• 97A331B9246C499E88C76A3F1F7DFEB4.jpg
    97A331B9246C499E88C76A3F1F7DFEB4.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 51

capsoda

Reaction score
Nope, No fruit jar type can this time Bob. It is just a great example of an early can. Probably peaches or apricots so they could soak up plenty of lead for you to eat. Civil War era so it will bring a fair price being far rarer than bottles of that period.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Great info as usual Warren. And Madman - I suppose Napoleon eating from lead tins might explain some of the craziness (but maybe not the genius).

I'm not sure if the area that I found it in contained civil war vintage items. I'd be happy if you were correct. I would have guessed that most of the rest of it was 1890s but I suppose you never know. I may put it up on ebay. I'll report back how it does.

hj

Reaction score
I just read a book about the lost arctic journey commanded by Sir John Franklin in 1845. The author of the book contends that the crew eventually succumbed to botulism cause by improperly prepared meat, packed in state of the art cans just like the one you have there.

Bacteria and lead...not a winning combo.

hj

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Thanks HJ,
Great post. I love it when you learn more about history based on the stuff you're finding. I suppose that pasteurization was still forty years into the future at that point (despite the state-of-the-art cans). They probably had no idea that canning things without proper sterilization could be so dangerous.

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
I saw The Sir John Franklin story on NOVA, but I can't find the video on the internet.
I remember lead poisoning being one of the causes of death.
Found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Franklin

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrykevin