Listerine

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jim

Reaction score
I dig lots of bottles with Bakelite caps whenever I get stuck digging a 30s dump. Some of them get really rotted and nasty-looking, and others look almost new. I never figured that one out [:)]. ~Jim

PS- I can tell it's getting late. If I had bothered to realize that there is a page 2 to this post, I would have seen that Lou just said the same thing I did [&:]. I would think that the soil content is what makes the difference.

LC

Reaction score
Sort of like testing a piece as to whether or not it is made of celluloid Lobey. Celluloid has camphor in it. If you want to test a piece to see if it is made of celluloid, just rub it hard against a cloth or something soft to get it hot, and then smell, it, if you can smell camphor, then you know the piece is celluloid not plastic. The biggest reasons most of our early knife factories burned down in the early 1900s was becaue they stocked piled celluloid for making handles out of it for knives. Want to see something wild, take a match and lite a piece of celluloid, and see how fast it burns up into nothing. You can also smell the camphor as it burns. Once it gets to burning, you can hardly put the fire out.

http://www.freewebs.com/yesterdaystreasures/index.htm

LC

Reaction score
By now, those of you who have come to know me on this forum, know that I do get off the main track at times. But I received the following message from a friend this evening, and I feel that anyone who knows nothing about this should know.
I received the following information below in an email and I checked it out and sure enough, if you go to Google and type in your phone number, it will come back with your name, address, etc......and provide a map in which to find your location!!!!!! Now, some of you may say that is neat, and some of you may say, I do not want my location divulged in such a way, and you can do something about it if it upsets you. My first thoughts were, if I want to find a fellow bottle diggers location, I could type in their phone number ( if I had it of course) , get their exact location on a map, to make it easy for me to go and find them, and kick ass digging some bottles with better ease! I think that anyone who has no knowledge of this should at least take the time to read the following message. And , if after you read it , and you think I wasted your time by doing so, well, email me ask and me for my phone number. Once I give it to you, type it in and get directions to my house, and come and kick the crap out of me....

Here's the email I got......

Google has implemented a new feature which enables you to type a telephone number into the search bar and hit enter and you will be given the person's name and address. If you then hit MapQuest, you will get a map to the person's house. Everyone should be aware of this! It's a nationwide reverse telephone book.
If a child gives out his/her phone number, someone can now look it up to find out where he/she lives. The safety issues are obvious, and alarming.
Note that you can have your phone number removed or blocked. I tried my number and it came up along with the mapquest and directions straight to our house. I did fill out the removal form for myself, and encourage all of you to do the same. Quite scary.
Please look up your own number.
In order to test whether your phone number is mapped, go to: google
(http://www.google.com/) Type your phone number in the search bar (i.e. 555-555-1212) and hit enter. If you want to B L O C K Google from divulging your private information, simply click on your telephone number and then click on the Removal Form. Removal takes 48-hours.
Check your own number and although this may not apply to you if you have an unlisted number or cell phone as primary contact, but you may know someone who needs to know this.
Please share this information with friends and family.

http://www.freewebs.com/yesterdaystreasures/index.htm

tncgal

Reaction score
As a lady, I often debate whether to reply to some posts since I have no desire to kick anyone's backside nor do I speak "French".

For those who would care to learn about bakelite, I'll offer a few links with some interesting information. The odor produced by the hot pin method is the same as briskly rubbing or the hot water method ~ formaldehyde or carbolic acid. A burning hair odor is what is produced when using a hot pin on ivory.

http://www.worldint.com/science/bakelite.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalin

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey LC, That is good to know info. In my case it's "Come oooonn Cletus an get some of dis".[;)]

Hey Brenda, Kick away girl, kick away.[sm=lol.gif] It is good for the soul.

I have handled tons of bakelite and it is very easy to tall it from plastic. It smells period. that stuff emits a stink from day one. I have pulled tons of it from Antebellum homes (that is Victorian if your not from the south) that were retro fitted with modern conveniences made from Bakelite. Electrical boxes and fittings of all types and kitchen appliances .

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26