local color!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hi pupman ,
I believe the rarest coloration in a Lyon's is Cobalt Blue. I have only seen one and it is in Jim Hagenbuch's Collection. It may be the only one known in Cobalt I don't really know for sure.
Thanks again for sharing the pics !!! Brian

pupman

Reaction score
Hi again everyone! In answer to a couple of questions,You are correct Brian Cobalt blue of which there is only one embossed example known is in Hag's collection. However ,even Hag has not seen a emerald green Meyers destroyer such as the one I showed him at Baltimore this past year! It's such exciting collecting since there's always more out there!Maybe someday he'll add to his pigpen and sell me his bug bottles!
In answer to your question Kent,Many of our ideas about color are conjecture but here goes:they came in such an asortment of colors because these were truly utilitarian bottles used ,probably quickly,for one purpose-to rid yourself of pesky insects! Therefore,color didn't matter much(they were all labeled) and Emanuel Lyons made deals with several major glasshouses to buy bottles very cheap with the stipulation that any color was fine and all the leftovers in the pots at the end of the day were turned into Lyons powders! We see alot of crudity and potstones further proving that these were the end of the days remenants,some even incorporating two colors. This certinly would have been an efficient way to cut costs as they were certinly not thought of as "window bottles" at that time.
Hope this answers your question as to why they made them in such an array of colors!
Kev

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Kev,
Once again Super grouping ! I have always liked these bottles because of the array of colors they come in.
I have a John Henry in this shape . Were they a poison simular to the Lyon's ?
Thanks , Brian

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey Pupman...
Absolutely beautiful bottles... what great colors! Have any been found in the northern New England states or are they pretty much a local type of bottle?
Wayne[8D]

pupman

Reaction score
Hi Wayne,These insect powders seem to be found around large east coast cities,for a little more history on Lyons go the the forum chat section where I went into a little detail about them. They got around but were basically produced in New York,hence the reason for us finding so many.I've had pits where ten came out but mostly broken. Usually when this happens I weep uncontrollably at the pit for a few minutes before I can dig again! It would be quite possible to find them in the New England area.Regards,PUP

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Pup ,
Here's a pic of the John F. Henry ! Not very good quality.....I will try to get some better ones tomorrow when I have more time.
Are the Henry's fairly scarce ?

Zx70375.jpg

Attachments

• Zx70375.jpg
    Zx70375.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 46

dirtflicker

Reaction score
You Dug all of those???? Dang....some nice colors there. You must have a tumbler because those things are CLEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!! Nice!!!!!

DF

GuntherHess

Reaction score
The John Henry's apparently pretty rare. Last one I saw on ebay sold for about $350. I can guess who probably bought it. It was yellowish green.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tasha85