madmen and their treatment

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

rabbittoh

Reaction score
MADMEN AND THEIR TREATMENT cont.

GREEN LIPS

2 x 10oz reliance patents from Delaney de Beers, Kimberly (one complete and one with the top and bottom laying side by side),...the complete example currently resides in my collection while the repaired example resides in a UK colelction

Delaney de Beers / Kimberley
———————
Reliance Patent / 4 / Sole Makers / Dan Rylands Ld / Barnsley
———————
10oz Reliance Patent

1 x 6oz reliance patents from Delaney de Beers, Kimberly ......three examples have been accounted for with one the other two being found on Kimberly's "Kamfersdam" dump (the largest and most well known dump in Kimberly) & the 3rd example being found in the mid 1990's by my friend Brian on a shelf in a barbers shop in Kimberly. Two of the three examples curently reside in my collection

Delaney de Beers / Kimberley
———————
———————
6oz Reliance Patent

9F10E308E03D45CBA79E6C4A1FA92370.jpg

Attachments

• 9F10E308E03D45CBA79E6C4A1FA92370.jpg
    9F10E308E03D45CBA79E6C4A1FA92370.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 92

rabbittoh

Reaction score

BLUE LIPS

2 x 10oz reliance patents from a e bradley, kimberly...one in my collection and the other in a UK collection. There is also a 3rd example in a UK collection, however, this one sadly has no story other than that it was recently auctioned in the UK.

A. E. Bradley / Kimberley
———————
———————
10oz Reliance Patent

2 x 6oz reliance patents from a e bradley, kimberly...these are two of only three known examples .....wth two in my collection and 1 in a UK collection. My 2nd example was purchased from a different collector to Brian and it was found on Kimberly's "Kamfersdam" dump

A. E. Bradley / Kimberley
———————
———————
6oz Reliance Patent

909BF3BE1FA14CDB8535433FE27D79BC.jpg

Attachments

• 909BF3BE1FA14CDB8535433FE27D79BC.jpg
    909BF3BE1FA14CDB8535433FE27D79BC.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 87

rabbittoh

Reaction score

The little "Lazaretto Hospital dump" also gave up 1 x 6oz one way pour blue lip from a e bradley, kimberly. Unfortunately this bottle had already been moved onto a UK collection long before i met Brian...it had been the reliance and acme patents that intrugued him the most

.....and through the good luck of a chance internet meeting i have developed a fine friendship with Brian that has resulted in him allowing me to purchase his treasured and exceptionally rare matching set of 6 x 10oz and 6oz coloured lip hybrids......all that was required of me was to gather a bit of money together to pay for the bottles and fly to Bloemfontien in the center of South Africa and pick them up....he simply would not entertain the idea of putting them in the post....so, at 1900hrs on Tuesday 30th Setember i boarded a plane in Jakarta Indonesia and made my way to Bloemfontein, South Africa,...arriving at 1300 hrs. Wednesday 1st October. I enjoyed quite a few beers and a bbq with Brian and his wonderful family on Wednesday night before boarding a plane (with my new treasures) on Thursday 2nd October and winging my way back to Jakarta...arriving at 0830 on Friday 3rd October...a long and tiring journey in a very short space of time but absolutly worth it.........these bottles then hopped on a plane with me on Saturday 4th October and made their way to our new home in Colombia, South America, arriving at 1830 on Sunday 5th October

6DAED55FC9704B8AA1345B62A3978135.jpg

Attachments

• 6DAED55FC9704B8AA1345B62A3978135.jpg
    6DAED55FC9704B8AA1345B62A3978135.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 100

rabbittoh

Reaction score
THE HYBRID AND THE TOOTH ACHE

S.A.' s most famous Coloured Lip Codd is the Eugene S. Whyte of Cradock. ...and that was before this little fellow was found..........and he has has an interesting story attached to him

....a story about a tooth ache and a fire sale price

..however, lets start at the beginning.

For many years S.A.'s most famous Coloured Colour Lip Codd was the 7oz Eugene S. Whyte of Cradock. Unique in that there were no known dug examples, all specimens, in mint condition emanting from their warehouse in Cradock. Although the bottle is embossed Reliance Patent, it is in fact an Acme Patent"

These cellar-found examples remained the only known examples of bottles from this company until my friend Brian White dug a 10oz version, which to this day remains the only known example...it remains in South Africa & continues to sit proudly on the shelves in Brians collection .....a collection considered to be the finest assembly of coloured/coloured lip minerals outside of the UK

.....and then, the find of finds... a capetown, south africa, collector, Dale Lewis, dug a little 6oz hybrid from Eugene S Whyte.........this little bottle became the the pride of Dale's collection and to all effects, collection locked....there had never ever been even the slightest eveidence that such a bottle existed..it was and remains to this day the only known example..a gem of the bottle world

It remained "collection locked" with Dale until a day came that he was in need of urgent and expensive dental treatment and was forced to sell off much of his collection, including the little hybrid. An english collector was fortunate enough to be present in Capetown at this very time and purchased the little hybrid for the princly sum of us$800.00

The little bottle remained in the english collection until earlier this year i stumbled across it via a very good friend on one of the bottle forums and was able to negotiate a deal that sent it on it's way to my collection....

....in all honesty it was the purchase of this little bottle that got me to thinking that it just may be possible to gather an example of all of the 14 known coloured hybrids

Eugene S. Whyte / Manufacturer / Cradock
———————
———————.
6oz Standard Hybrid

447DDB905A0544839FA3299B698487AE.jpg

Attachments

• 447DDB905A0544839FA3299B698487AE.jpg
    447DDB905A0544839FA3299B698487AE.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 86

rabbittoh

Reaction score
TRESPASSING, CIRCUMCISION, CASTRATION AND THE GREEN LIPPED HYBRID

There are only 5 known green lip hybrids...and a total count of known examples of 8 - all are of South African origen -
I have been fortunate enough to secure three of the five, with a 4th as a double, simply because of the amazing generosity of 3 of my collector friends

......the reliance patents are discussed earlier in this thread - MADMEN AND THEIR TREATMENT
...................however, the wonderful little green lip "one way" pour (bottle on the far right in this photo) is another story. It was dug in Johannesburg by my friend Nic Wellman and sold onto me in December 2007. I was more than suprised that Nic decided to let this bottle go as it had achieved legendary status in South Africa......a one only known example from Delaney & Youngleson, Johannesburg...but what i do know is that i will be forever grateful to Nic for allowing me the honour of placing this bottle in my collection.

ED625C104D6F408881513C7FC262587B.jpg

Attachments

• ED625C104D6F408881513C7FC262587B.jpg
    ED625C104D6F408881513C7FC262587B.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 85

rabbittoh

Reaction score
TRESPASSING, CIRCUMCISION, CASTRATION AND THE GREEN LIPPED HYBRID cont......

Nic has also kindly given me the story behind the discovery of this bottle.

"The greenlip Delaney & Youngelson was dug in a dump which was probably the original Johannesburg dump, no more than maybe a mile from what is now downtown Johannesburg. It is unlikely that that dump will ever be accessible again as it is now covered with buildings. There was even a natural fountain bubbling up and the dump came to light when the engineers had a trench dug in and around the fountain to plug it. We were only able to dig there twice and then we were promised we would be charged with trespassing, circumcision and castration if we showed our faces there again. The bottles found there were all very old, e.g. a Goodliffe stoneware ginger beer was found there, only the third Goodliffe ever found. The other two were found in Pretoria's "Mortuary" dump which was closed in 1900.

The first time I laid my hands on the greenlip I had to change underpants.

I have 5 bluelip and 3 brownlip Codds, at least two of which are also one-offs, as well as an emerald green Codd with the Nuttall's lip patent and one of only 3 amber dumpies ever to come to light in South African Codds (none of these 10 are hybrids) but none of them have the "specialness" of my greenlip hybrid. Even though it is now Grahame Smith's bottle, it will always be "my" bottle.

The first gold in Johannesburg was discovered in 1886. In an 1892 Johannesburg directory is an entry for "Goungetson & Delancey", so this bottle originated from one of the very early mineral water factories in Johannesburg. I have another, aqua, Delaney & Youngelson hybrid with quite a lot of inscription on it and a lovely wolf / fox / dog (canine) with a bushy tail as the logo"

Nic is known as 'coddman" in South African circles and has arguably the finest collection of codds in that country so parting with this bottle could not have been easy. It is this reason that when recently, after the 'global financial crisis" enforced a few hard times on me and i was forced to sell off some of my collection i could not bring myself to part with the coloured lip hybrids.....Nic had made me the custodian of this bottle so it could be part of a set, .....the full set of coloured lip hybrids....even though it tore his heart out to let it go.

Note: - in the past year or so a 10oz example of this bottle came to light, also found in Johannesburg. It even made an appearance at one of the english shows - some who viewed it thought that it had a "yellow lip, but in reality it was just a very light shade of green. I am led to believe that a few generours offers were made but the owner would not part with it. The bottle was professionally cleaned in the UK and then dissappeared back to South Africa. I have no doubt that this will be the most difficult of the 4 remaining example required to fulfill my "quest for the lot" as it is the only one that i do not know the actual location of, or even who the owner is.

Delaney & Youngelson / Johannessburg
———————
Patent Safe Groove / 4 / Sole Makers / Dan Rylands Ld / Barnsley
———————
6oz Standard Hybrid

4BC79C53B0FA42139BCCC5DB9650A5FE.jpg

Attachments

• 4BC79C53B0FA42139BCCC5DB9650A5FE.jpg
    4BC79C53B0FA42139BCCC5DB9650A5FE.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 82

rabbittoh

Reaction score
THE KIWI HYBRID AND THE SECRET STORY

there is only one pictorial coloured lip hybrid...and it is from New Zealand.....and it is New Zealands only colored lip hybrid

they are exceptionally rare with 4 declared to be known........however there is a whisper from a very reliable kiwi source that there may well be as many as 8

the bottle is a 10oz reliance patent from A Moffett, Invacargill

my example has a sensational and exciting story attached to it that i will post some time in the future, but not right now, not right now............

DC1367BF9FF5451E8E90E63F79C944B4.jpg

Attachments

• DC1367BF9FF5451E8E90E63F79C944B4.jpg
    DC1367BF9FF5451E8E90E63F79C944B4.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 89

rabbittoh

Reaction score
THE AUSSIE BLUE LIPPED HYBRID WITH NO STORY TO TELL

the aussie blue lip hybrid is the most common of all of the blue lip hybrids............15 are known......and as such i have not been able to find the "story" behind my example

it may be common but to date not a single one has gone to auction...they remain one of the most sought after of all aussie bottles with private deals being concluded long before the opportunity can be made public

Frank Craig, York, Western Australia....10oz one way pour

ECF96B5774F04F11958067DBB23E40A1.jpg

Attachments

• ECF96B5774F04F11958067DBB23E40A1.jpg
    ECF96B5774F04F11958067DBB23E40A1.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 99

rabbittoh

Reaction score
THE ALLIES

Colored lip codd hybrids were distributed in only three countries (12 in South Africa, 1 in New Zealand and 1 in Australia)

.......and too my knowledge only myself has been fortunate enough to put an example from each country together in the one collection (i would gladly be proven wrong)

from left to right..the aussie, the south african and the kiwi

47469094BC454EE09DC0079C974C5ECB.jpg

Attachments

• 47469094BC454EE09DC0079C974C5ECB.jpg
    47469094BC454EE09DC0079C974C5ECB.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 100

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member