making a living

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Charlie ,
I would like very much to get the info on the bottle ! I have two St.Andrew's ..... both identical except for labels. One is labeled Female Regulator and the other is labeled Nerve Builder.
I will email you my address.
I have a couple Tennessee Bitters and have tried to get some Tennessee Bitters from Ralph.... like pulling hens teeth ! LOL
Thank you , Brian

whiskeyman

Reaction score
BRIAN...a St Andrews Wine of Life Root with a Nerve Builder label?...

I have an embossed St Andrews Nerve Builder, an embossed Andrews Nerve Builder, and an embossed St Andrews Nerve Builder with box & contents, but label is for Andrews Chill Killer...all are aqua BIM....also a label only Chill Medicine.
I have the St Andrews Wine of Life Root with the Female Regulator label and also with a Sarsaparilla label.
Also have the Andrews Wine of Life Root with label For Women and another with label for WINOLRO.
I also have the embossed St Andrews Sarsaparilla....a quite scarce bottle.
This Company was est. here about 1896 and lasted until the early 1930's....they bought out one drug company during their years of operation and put out a lot of different Patent Medicines...
The story is an interesting one that begins with an orphan boy from Smithfield VA. who went to Memphis to live with an Uncle and eventually wound up here... after a brief "apprenticeship" with the L.Gerstle Medicine Co. of Union-Bluff City, Tenn. Gerstle ,as you probably know is more known for his Chattanooga, Tenn products and his St Josephs line of Patent Medicines....a Company that still survives today.
Will send you the info....

whiskeyman

Reaction score
oh...did you see the one that sold on Ebay...Female Regulator label variant? $70+

Ralph really likes his Tenn stuff, (in addition to his Western whiskeys)...Heh. I can understand why you'd say it's like pullin' hen's teeth. Every once in a while he turns loose of some in order to accumulate monies to buy Western whiskeys he doesn't have.

whosyerdaddy

Reaction score
BRIAN S. glad to see that ralph is stilla round met him at the louisville ky. show several years ago had an elderly couple with him presumed it was his mom and dad i member he had a ton of stuff to sell!! whosyerdaddy!!

whiskeyman

Reaction score
WHOS...Ralph is still around and going strong...he had some medical exams to take this month in order to stay certified and that kept him a bit busy. But he was at the Gray TN show earlier this month. And at Baltimore...Columbia,SC and Waynesville,NC.
His parents are nice folks.

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Charlie ...... Yes it is the exact same Amber bottle except it has the nerve builder label instead of the female regulator (I'll post some pics) . I have the original box and instructions but they are very tattered. You can still see Nerve Builder on the side of the box. It also has a small yellow tag or label on the front over part of the embossing that says St.Andrew's .. ect. , ect . Something about 42mg of cocaine. (I'll have to read it again).
The first time I met Ralph was at the Knoxville Show many years ago. He had a sales table with just one bottle on it. A Puce iron pontiled Highland Scotch Bitters barrel. I should have bought it from him on payments ! Oh well !
I ended up with 2 of his Aromatic Orange Bitters , Nashville Semi cabins that he had sold Ed Herrold.....and he (Ralph) has commented several times that he wished he'd never sold them. I'm glad he did .... 2 of my favorites.
And your right Ralph's Western Flask collection is nothing short of awesome !!!!

Qo41188.jpg

Attachments

• Qo41188.jpg
    Qo41188.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 77

whiskeyman

Reaction score
BRIAN..I bet you & I have met before. I was one of 8 people that formed the Knoxville Club and I set up at shows 2 thru 8. I quit the club after 10 years and co-founded the State of Franklin club...I quit it last year after serving almost 6 years as Pres....5 as show chairman and 1 1/2 as Editor. Got burnt out....

Ralph & I met about 15 or 16 years ago at an auction in Johnson City...we've been good friends ever since. We used to dig together a lot, then he got married and had a son and didn't have as much free time for diggin'...I have pics of him all dirty...wanna see?...LOL

Everytime I see his collectionS, I am awed....makes my stuff look like roadside garbage...[:eek:]

Hmmm....that Nerve Builder label on the St Andrews Wine of Life Root is a new one on me....but perfectly plausible. Andrews put Wood Drug Company labels on his embossed Andrews Mfg Co. bottles for a while after he bought them out...
I have some Andrews bottles on my eBay ME page...check them out. My ID is whiskey-klectr.

whiskeyman

Reaction score
Those are two very nice bottles you got from ED...I recall how proud Ralph was when he first acquired them and couldn't believe it when he sold them....at that time, he was thinning down all his Tenn items....buying Western whiskey collections...

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Charlie ,
I'd say we probably have met or seen each other at one time or another .
I'd like to see the pics of Ralph ..... As neat and tidy as Ralph is , I just can't imagine him all dirty and muddy down in a privy. Those I have to see !
I'll post some pics of the St. Andrew's when I get a chance. And I'll check out your " Me" page .
Brian

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Yes , Ralph said he upgraded 5 times till he got that large size Aromatic. And he said , it was the best example that he had/has ever seen . It's a great Tennessee Bitters !
I could have gotten his CUMBERLAND Bitters at one time ..... and still kick myself in the butt for not buying it !
Brian

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen