Needing help with deciphering markings on the bottom of a Dominion Glass Company beer bottle circa 1953

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Lemna

Reaction score
I know that it was made in May/June of 1953 in one of the Dominion plants located in Redcliff, Alberta. I have been able to make sense of most of the markings on the bottom of the bottle except for the V-1320-C markings. Just below the V is a "10" and under the 1320 are the initials W.S. I would appreciate any help in finding out more about this bottle.

SandiR

Reaction score
I know that it was made in May/June of 1953 in one of the Dominion plants located in Redcliff, Alberta. I have been able to make sense of most of the markings on the bottom of the bottle except for the V-1320-C markings. Just below the V is a "10" and under the 1320 are the initials W.S. I would appreciate any help in finding out more about this bottle.
You may need to attach a photo. I'm guessing you know about the article here: https://sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/DominionGlass.pdf

Lemna

Reaction score
Thanks SandiR for responding to my plea for help. And yes, I have read the article posted on the web. I'm using this broken bottle to help me determine when the area I'm investigating was visited by people. bottom markings.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I suspect it's mostly just mold numbers and other internal company info. I'm not sure there's much more useful info you could get beyond the date and plant location. You can be pretty confident that your site was visited around 1953-56ish from this shard, I don't think those beer bottles tended to be reused anywhere near as long as pop bottles did in those days. If you don't already know this would have been a generic beer bottle that would probably have been shared among several different breweries, these were a standardized interchangeable design that was the precursor to the iconic "stubby" bottles and today's generic long-neck beer bottle design.

Lemna

Reaction score
Thanks CanadianBottles for your words of wisdom. I will stop now stop the timer for this project and move on to the next. Thanks to Antique-Bottles.net followers for making this a worthwhile website for me.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen