Marble Help?!?!?!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

brianwi

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me something about this marble. My brother found it while we were detecting road construction!

Sq45894.jpg

Attachments

• Sq45894.jpg
    Sq45894.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 88

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Woody is right on the money...that's a very nice sample of a Bennigton glazed clay marble. The 'eyes' are from where the marbles touched each other during the firing / glazing process. From your picture, your's appears to be the 1-3/4'' size, in good condition, they can fetch $50. Really nice find[:)]

KentOhio

Reaction score
It's called a Bennington, alright, but there's really no evidence that they were made in Bennington, Vt. People used to think so, but not anymore. The name just stuck.
I don't think yours is that big, is it? One in about 1/2 inch size, which I think yours is, unfortunately is very common and worth about $1.00. They also come in blue, blue and brown, and occasionally green or pink.

woody

Reaction score
With a little research I did find this on an internet marble collecting site.

"Bennington marbles are a type of glazed clay marble. They are not very dense. The marbles are fired clay with a salt glaze on them. Benningtons are readily identifiable by both their coloring and the little "eyes" that they have on them. These are spots where the marbles were touching each other while they were being fired, resulting in those spots being uncolored and unglazed. The term "bennington" is actually a misnomer. There is no evidence that they were ever made in Bennington, Vermont, or that they have any lineage to the Bennington pottery that they resemble and from which they get their name. It appears that all Bennington marbles were imported from Germany."

That sheds a little more light on the subject.

brianwi

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for all the posts. I dont really know how you measure it but it looks about 3/4 inch, definitly bigger than 1/2 inch. Also, the "eye" actually kind of sticks out and there is only one on the whole marble. Wouldn't there usually be 2, unless it's an endpiece?
Here are pics of the "eye." As you can see it "sticks out" alittle on top.
marble3.jpg

Rp44006.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dvergatal