March 14 & 15 good digging

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mike O

Reaction score
Pontildump006.jpg
I got together with Greg after work on Saturday and we went to a 1700's house that we had permision to metal detect and dig, after 2 hours we found nothing so we decided to leave, We then went to check out a dump that I was told about, but the oldest thing we could find was maybe from the 60's. So we decided to go for a walk and see what we could find 1/2 way through our walg we saw 6 or 8 VERY small shards of glass on the surface but that was it. We kept walking and found nothing so we decided to call it a day! I went back to dig aroung the 60's dump since it was a farf dump and there were a lot of broken milk bottles. I figured at least I could find a couple of milks. Greg stopped where we saw that shards and started scratching and BANG!!!!! dump. He came and got me and we hit it hard from around 4 pm to 7 and did we ever do good. everything was blown and as we moved around wh started to find really old looking glass, Then we started fonding pontiled bases and then we found pontiled bottles. I think we both found 3 or 4 complete pontiled bottles and must have found 80 or 100 broken ones. See this dump was at the cornor of a field and the farmers over the years dumped all there rocks there. What a shame. We also each found a stone beer. Greg found a perfect quart stoddard flask (something that he collects) so we each left with big smiles on our faces. I did have my camera and took pictures but only had my small card so not too much from the dump. We went back this morning Sunday and spent another 4 hours but seems the it dried up pretty fast and what we did find today was NOT pontiled. In any case I hope you enjoy the pictures. Mike
Pontildump001.jpg

Pontildump003.jpg

Pontildump002.jpg

Pontildump004.jpg

Here's the Stoddard flask in the ground
Pontildump005.jpg

Here it is freshley excavated with a VERY proud digger
Pontildump007.jpg

Pontildump008.jpg

Pontildump009.jpg

Pontildump010.jpg

Here is everything that I brought home
Pontildump011.jpg

INKS, the fourth one is pontiled
Pontildump012.jpg

Glass stoppers
Pontildump013.jpg

Big marble
Pontildump014.jpg

Common perfumes
Pontildump015.jpg

My "over size" J.Dowse stoner. Anyone know of this one? I could not find any info on this one.
Pontildump016.jpg

Pontildump017.jpg

Nice pontiled black glass ale
Pontildump018.jpg

Pontildump019.jpg

Open pontiled Berlin Series
Pontildump020.jpg

Pontildump021.jpg

Pontildump022.jpg

This is my Favorite Check out the really crude over sized applied top. It is a Dr. Mowes "couch" Balsam Lowell Mass. This one in NOT pontiled but it is as close as you can get to being, I did dig another with a nice open pontil but the neck was gone [:-]
Pontildump023.jpg

Pontildump024.jpg

Pontildump025.jpg

Pontildump026.jpg

Last picture from me. This is just all the commons, When greg sends me his pictures I will put them up too.
Pontildump027.jpg

adshepard

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing.

Great finds and wonderful photos.

I am itchin' to hit the water again for more bottles of the deep.

Alan

Mike O

Reaction score
That one is Gregs, I forget what it says, I will find out and post it. That is the one that you can see the bottom sticking out

beendiggin

Reaction score
Excellent story, pics and bottles! What a great dig! Nice job, thanks for posting! Gets the blood going.....man I can't wait.

Stardust

Reaction score
Birthing bottles from mother earth the past few days. You guys look so happy and delivered such lovely finds. THANKS FOR SHARING! [;)] very nice pics by the way!
star

Mike O

Reaction score
That's Greg and it is his! Good eye by the way it is indeed a stoddaed stubby, He called me and said that it cleaned up great. We thought it was another black glass ale but it is amber and bubbley all the way

woody

Reaction score
As you were. I figured out the embossing on the cylindrical aqua pontiled bottle.

It's a Mrs. E. Kidder Dysentery Cordial, Boston, Aqua, Pontil, Cylinder, 7 1/2 In.

Nice find!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem