may have stumbled on how to clean sick and dirty bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ms.gal

Reaction score
Hi..I am an egg artist..sometimes need to etch an egg..I sent off for a free sample of this about a year or so ago..they sent me a full quart of the stuff..haven't thought to try it on bottles..ms.gal

splante

Reaction score
have about 8 really sick bottles that I pulled out of my shed, was eventually going to recycle them , gonna let them soak untill sunday am, will keep posted. Like I said before this is still acid based but supposed to be not as dangerous as muriatic acid.

the coke bottle is what sold me Ive tried like i said before to clean that dam bottle nevwr got it clean, as seen in the first picture

splante

Reaction score
egg artist very interesting would like to see some of your work.

ms.gal

Reaction score
egg artist very interesting would like to see some of your work.

LOL..don't have to ask twice..http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/1263913348059751065kKPNdo

surfaceone

Reaction score
1263913348059751065S600x600Q85.jpg

doff-hat.jpg

Plumbata

Reaction score
I had looked into the formula of that "Acid Magic" stuff the last time someone posted something about it here, and after a bit of searching discovered that it is pretty much just muriatic acid with proprietary buffers to reduce fuming (the label itself indicates it is HCl). I am not sure what percentage of it is hydrochloric acid, but at best it is no stronger than Muriatic, and quite a bit more expensive. Fumes aren't a concern if you know what you are doing and have the proper gear, and if the undiluted material gets on your skin a quick rinse will avert any injury. Concentrated sulfuric, nitric, and particularly hydrofluoric acids aren't so forgiving.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: GuntherHess

Muriatic acid isnt hard to get. Basically any place that sells masonary supplies with have loads of it.
all the mason supplies by me now carry the safe stuff, pool stores by me have the good stuff...

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Splante, you are confusing a dirty bottle with stain to a sick bottle. There is only one acid (to my knowledge) that will take sickness off a bottle. That is Hydrofluric and you had best be a chemist with many years of experiance using it or you will end up quite dead. It is wicked stuff so I am told. The only other feasible way to take sickness off of glass is to tumble it. Muratic acid is great for stains and I have used it 50/50 with water and had good results. It is a mild acid (as acids go) but you are wise to take all the precautions of goggles, neoprene gloves and GOOD ventilation. It will mess up any metal you have close enough that the fumes can hit it. Smoke

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey