may have stumbled on how to clean sick and dirty bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

splante

Reaction score
rust stains alge,dirt stains come right out and the bottlee is very clean with the acid magic, soaked for 12 hours then the baking soda to neturalize, soap and water rinse and clean rinse.( as posted above), will check pool store for murtic acid,
this acid magic is supposed should be safer and works great on lite to med cleaning,but is it as good? I have noticed that sic bottles (white) staining for lack of better word appears to come back after a while but not as bad as it was,trying a little stronger mixture.
as always use caution. This cost $10.00 a gallon wondering how much the mutiric acid is.

epackage

Reaction score
Our good buddy Earl who recently passed shared his method with me, you use alot less and there is no cutting of the acid, you let the fumes do the work. Here is his e-mail to me from last year....Jim

Hi Jim,
I use straight muriatic acid, the product name is called HASA, it is very strong industrial acid, I picked it up at a swimming pool supply store...You have to be very careful using it, do it outside, watch the wind direction, you want to be up wind, use rubber gloves and
a mask, it does smoke when you pour it and you do not want to breath
the vapors.

The way I clean bottles is put a small amount inside the bottle just enough to cover the base, then I put the bottle inside a plastic 5 gallon bucket, pour some acid inside the bucket just enough to cover the bottom, then cover the bucket... I usually leave it in the bucket for 24 hours, the vapors of the acid is the one that cleans the bottle, remember when you open the bucket a lot of vapors will come out
of the bucket, be Very Careful !!!!

I then rinse the bottle with water, I use a brush or sand to clean whatever the acid don't clean out, it's
amazing how clean the bottle can get, unfortunately it does not clean sick glass, hope this helps, thanks for asking...Aloha Earl

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
I have noticed that sic bottles (white) staining for lack of better word appears to come back after a while but not as bad as it was,trying a little stronger mixture.
Please check last post on page 1. [;)]

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I've used diluted hydroflouric outdoors and it etches glass..if you use it indoors, it will likely etch lungs as well... trust me on this.. if the bottle is so hideously sick that you can't stand to look at it, but it's a one-of-a-kind, only-one-made-from-that-mold singularity, give it an outdoor FCL bath and enjoy the cloudy haze until you either give it away or save up enough spondulix to have it tumbled.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
tumbling bottles is a pain in the butt. Believe me if there was an easier way to clean sick bottles, me and lots of other people would be doing it.

ms.gal

Reaction score
thank you surfaceone..such a gentleman..and thanks splante..just another of my many hobbies..

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: wolfowner

i tried this method and it doesn't work
I guess all those pic's of Earl's squeaky clean bottles are photoshopped....[8D]

Welcome back as Wolfowner, I guess Wolfdog wasn't working for you officer...LOL

the ham man

Reaction score
I just use steel wool for stains. It doesn't get the sickness off but pretty much everything else. I guess because it's kind of like tumbling. I just think it's easier than using acid. Joey

splante

Reaction score
you are correct gunsmoke on my post#10 2 of the 4 bottles shown (not the coke) were sic....the other just a white stain cleaned everything like i said alge,rust,dirt, however on the other two bottles the sicness did come back

peejrey

Reaction score
Just bought a jug of Muriatic...
Gonna use it on some of my dirt stained ones.
Wish me luck. . . . . . . .

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey