medicine bottle-real?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi razorsedge, that's neat, you wouldn't think they would reuse a medicine bottle. maybe the doc. was just starting practice and was on a tight budget?? rhona

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Usually merchants were more worried about other people reusing thier bottles. Filling them with substandard products and selling them as the original owners product.
I think that's the main reason they wanted them back. For medicines anyway.
Recycling medicines could have been desirable during the Depression era when all money was tight.
For stuff like milk and soda refilling bottles was pretty common but even with them the merchants were worried about competitors using thier bottles. An early beer company here went as far as to bust all the tops off thier used beers. Almost every one found in the old town dump was missing the top.

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi guntherhess, thanks for the information, very interesting. i know they reuse bottles when there was a return deposit on them (many years ago) did they reuse old beer bottles? thanks rhona

madman

Reaction score
hey rhona i was browsing on ebay, and found this thought you might like madman

Hf99055.jpg

madman

Reaction score
dang heres another? it would be cool to have a whole collection of these mike

Rp43478.jpg

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi mike, thanks for posting the other pics. that means there is posibilty of finding more. i think i'm partial to my cork top. rhona

madman

Reaction score
o yes i agree the cork top is much cooler! believe it or not id never seen an acl medicine, thanks for sharing mike

Bottleman

Reaction score
I have dug maybe about 7 of theses pyro medicines but never a cork top one. The funny thing is though just about all of them had the company name but never a town so I don’t know if they are local or not. Most of the time after I dig them and let the dry off, the paint will just flake off like on milk bottles. Here’s a picture of the three in my collection that have locations on them.

~~Tom

Qo38907.jpg

Attachments

• Qo38907.jpg
    Qo38907.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 59

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads