Medicine bottles with no embossing

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlerocket

Reaction score
I have been finding medicine bottles that have no embossing on them. They are cork top but again, just plain clear glass.I have been leaving them at the site (for others to pick up if they want) because I learned from this site and others that they have no collective value. Is this true?If so, I will continue to leave them for the beginner to take until he or she has too many and starts leaving them for other beginners.The other day I found a Horlicks Malted Milk jar from Racine, Wis. I also left. It has great embossing and has England on the bottom. I found out they also are very common.I see them on ebay for a few dollars. (although this is what they are listed for BUT do not know if there are even takers at that price)I guess I am at that point in my collection where I leave bottles I thought were cool when I first started but came to realize I was keeping a bunch of commons. Now I just leave them for others to enjoy and keep the embossed meds and old embossed beers and pops.Is this a good practice?

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
The "slicks" aren't worth keeping but the Horlick's can be fun to try and get all of them. I'm not sure that's been done yet.[:D]

LisaTammy

Reaction score
I do the same, but probably would have kept the Horlick's for my milk collection.Lisa

bottlerocket

Reaction score
I think I will go back and get the Horlick and get some pictures posted here.Thanks

botlguy

Reaction score
This is one of those questions to which there is no "Right" answer. I think you are doing it correctly according to my experience. When I first started digging in the 1960s I took everything home, washed them good and stored them carefully. In those days we could actually sell them, albeit at 5 to 10 cents, maybe 25 cents each. Pretty soon the supply overwhelmed the demand and I was left with boxes of unsalable bottles. (Notice I didn't say worthless) I moved those boxes, much to the chagrin of my helpers, 3 times before I finally gave them up, to a thrift store. As recently as 2 years ago I gave away 3 or 4 boxes of more recently acquired "Slicks" and other non-descript bottles. I always have a few nice clean tooled top bottles to give away, I suggest all collectors do the same, it sparks an interest in non-collectors. As far as Horlicks bottles, my Nephew built what could have been a complete collection, including advertising items, and then sold it all as a collection for some GOOD (under $1,000) money. Many of those bottles / jars are worth VERY little in spite of what one sees on eBay. After all, what do they know? Jim

MichaelFla

Reaction score
I have done this same thing. One day I dug 94 bottles and left 88 behind, all pre-1930. Went back a week later and they were all gone. Somebody will want them. I saw many of them at the flea market for $0.25 - $1.00.

Bert DeWitt

Reaction score
botlguy said:
This is one of those questions to which there is no "Right" answer. I think you are doing it correctly according to my experience. When I first started digging in the 1960s I took everything home, washed them good and stored them carefully. In those days we could actually sell them, albeit at 5 to 10 cents, maybe 25 cents each. Pretty soon the supply overwhelmed the demand and I was left with boxes of unsalable bottles. (Notice I didn't say worthless) I moved those boxes, much to the chagrin of my helpers, 3 times before I finally gave them up, to a thrift store. As recently as 2 years ago I gave away 3 or 4 boxes of more recently acquired "Slicks" and other non-descript bottles. I always have a few nice clean tooled top bottles to give away, I suggest all collectors do the same, it sparks an interest in non-collectors. As far as Horlicks bottles, my Nephew built what could have been a complete collection, including advertising items, and then sold it all as a collection for some GOOD (under $1,000) money. Many of those bottles / jars are worth VERY little in spite of what one sees on eBay. After all, what do they know? Jim
Well put Jim.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
As a beginner, if it has color or an interesting mouth/general shape, it's coming home with me for at least the bottle garden (it kind of works to keep my box turtle out of my flowers, but she still bowls 'em over.)

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I bought my almost a gallon Horlick because I thought it would be nice to keep sugar in. I was wrong ''cause I didn't figure getting my hand in to scoop a measure. It's still a cool jar, just bigger than I wanted and didn't work for me. Now I want it gone.[:D]I use an old Marshmallow tin now, it's the size of a gallon of paint.

bottlerocket

Reaction score
After rescuing the Horlick Jar, I posted pictures under "After 1900" section.Comments welcomed.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen