Metal detector question

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

myersdiggers1998

Reaction score
we dig holes and find nothing sometimes too, sometimes a rock will give you a false immage.its frustraiting but we dig on .were waiting for that mason jar full of 50 cent pcs. good luck detecting.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
using a metal detector is almost like learning to play a musical instrument[;)]
You will get better with it the more you use it. I have used various detectors for over 30 years and still get fooled by bad ground sometimes but I have also dug thousands of dollars worth of relics too[;)]

druggistnut

Reaction score
Many times, especially in older areas without a lot of modern trash, you'll get stuff that disappears.
If it was ferrous (iron) based, there is a good chance that it has broken down (just like cans in a dump) into tiny particles. The object is still there, but in pieces you can't recover. The machine detects the object, but can't tell you that it is in a gazillion pieces. Most of the time, the only indication is a discoloration.
The other thing you run in to-
A metal obect will run away from you in a hole. When you are rechecking the signal after a frantic three of four "dives" in to the hole with your knife, or whatever- does the object disappear, or does it seem to move around? If you are still getting the signal, try this. Start bringing a small sifter with you. Dump the dirt in to that, sift on to a small tarp or plastic bag. Keep doing it until you get the object.
There are times when perseverence just pays off. If I get that strong "silver" indication (the meter but, mostly the sound/depth), I have had coins disappear on me. This is due to the "field" being disturbed and perhaps the coin moving from laying flat to vertical, or vice-versa. That is when your ears and knowing the machine pay off. Turn off the discrimination and run in a G.E.B normal (or whatever your machine knows as all-metal) mode. Any metal will now scream out.
Try different experiments in your garage or basement, with a sandbox and table top.
There are sites for each brand of detector, where folks will give tips, etc.. Garrett has a good one.
Bill

Bottleman

Reaction score
Buy yourself a metal detecting wand. If you dig a hole and cant locate the object, the wand will tell you if it’s in your dirt pile, bottom of the hole or on the sides. I have one and man dose it save me a lot of time.

California Dream N

Reaction score
Bottleman is right on with that suggestion. I have a BullsEye Pointer (wand) and it has helped me locate small items many times.Good investment and well worth the $$$$$..Norene

sldavis

Reaction score
It really doesn't matter what type of machine you have .find a clean area maybe up on some plywood spread out a few things silver dime,gold ring etc.Play with the discrimanation knob to see what happens Clinton

sldavis

Reaction score
Some of my best stuff I thought was trash before I dug.A silver half dime at 5 inches deep sounds like a pull tab.and if your not digging nickels your probably missing gold.Hope this helps Clinton

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squirrelman