Metal detectors?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

rcn72679

Reaction score
Are metal detectors a good idea? I live on 140 acres & have a good idea of where some old bottles might be. I'm only aware of one privy for sure since I talked to the previous owner today. He said there's probably more, but that was the only one he recalled. My husband thinks that if it's a privy, it will have metal in it, so a metal detector would be a good idea? WDYT? If I do get a metal detector, how far down should it be able to detect?

DIGGER DAVE

Reaction score
Happy belated birthday Renee,
I do not own a metal detector but my nieghbor does and it was he who got me into historic glass by discovering a dump with his detector. They are a great help for discovering dump sites and privies depending on the model. Do the best you can with the money you have because they can get financially outrageous which is why I still do not own one. Got my eye on a Whites as soon as I sell enough bottles. Dont worry about how much it costs right now because no one ever forgets their first !Good luck !! Oh by the way your husband looks like a great guy, and if he truly is, I dont think he will mind if I say he deffinately married up !!!!! Best of luck, and look forward to your finds!!

rcn72679

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: DIGGER DAVE

Happy belated birthday Renee,
I do not own a metal detector but my nieghbor does and it was he who got me into historic glass by discovering a dump with his detector. They are a great help for discovering dump sites and privies depending on the model. Do the best you can with the money you have because they can get financially outrageous which is why I still do not own one. Got my eye on a Whites as soon as I sell enough bottles. Dont worry about how much it costs right now because no one ever forgets their first !Good luck !! Oh by the way your husband looks like a great guy, and if he truly is, I dont think he will mind if I say he deffinately married up !!!!! Best of luck, and look forward to your finds!!

Thank you! The big 2-7....LOL! Nah he don't mind! At least he says he doesn't....LOL! He is a great guy....most of the time...LOL! Thanks for the info. I'm lookin' & thinkin' about one!

cobaltbot

Reaction score
The cool thing about metal detecting is the same for bottles, you never know what you might find. A cheapo used one can be almost as lucky as a pricy one if you get extremely lucky. Besides luck those that find good stuff are people that do research on possible sites to vastly improve their chances. People can pitter away for years with one going to heavily hunted sites or a homesite that just one good detectorist has previously been to. That being said, new models, and old models with special coils, etc. can find stuff on these sites as they detect just slightly deeper than the previous guy. I would borrow, rent, or get a cheap one to try out first unless you have $500 - $1,000 to spend on a decent one and are serious about spending some time detecting. Like I said a radio shack model (make some other decent stuff...disclaimer...) can luck onto stuff just as well as a better one but there are technophiles? that know how to tune and use the better ones way better than I can. I wouldn't waste time searching for privys with one, get a probe for that.

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Also, meant to add (worried about being timed out which seems to happen less lately), a detector can be great fun if you have a big spread as yours. It may not be valuable but since its part of the history of the property you happen to be the temporary caretaker for, finding commonplace junk such as horseshoes, skeleton keys, spoons, matchbox cars, or almost any rusty relic takes on new meaning and importance to you, a connection to the past, if you care about that kind of stuff, and I think most bottle collectors are in that boat.......

rcn72679

Reaction score
Definately! I don't mind finding any old piece of history. I love finding stuff! Money's not an issue since I have a sugar daddy...LOL! He's all about saving money, but he also wants the best bang for his buck. He also knows I need a hobby other than collecting dirty diapers & I have to get out of the house everyday or I go crazy. He works from home, so that helps! We're researchin' some brands that I've seen some of ya'll use! I talked to the previous owner yesterday who's family settled here in 1919 & I got some info from him. There were other owners previous to him as well. It's addicting that's for sure!

cobaltbot

Reaction score
While you are at it ask him if he knows if anyone's ever detected there and if so does he know the kinds of stuff they found.

rcn72679

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cobaltbot

While you are at it ask him if he knows if anyone's ever detected there and if so does he know the kinds of stuff they found.

I doubt it, not 100% sure, but I told him what I'm doing & he didn't say anything. He's a really nice guy & I'm sure he would've told me not to waste my time, but I could be wrong...LOL!

coralie1989

Reaction score
I think gold metal detector will do you a favor while you are detecting. It will greatly increase your chance to get a big fortune. Maybe you can have a try.

ironmountain

Reaction score
depending on your budget: some md's retain a high value for resell...

if you're farm/land/relic md'ing go with a Tesoro Vaquero or a Tesoro Tejon..those are the best two for the money for farms/woods/civil war sites etc...
they're made in the U.S. lifetime warranty and are very deep on gold/silver etc... their discrimination is also very good..(you can notch out iron so you're digging junk..personally i'd run in all metal). The Fisher f70/75 are very good too...expensive though..you're talking over 1k for one..a bit less used...

I would definitely not buy from the site linked in here...stick with name brands: tesoro/fisher/minelab/technetics/garrett/whites etc..

feel free to pm me if you have questions...i'm in the process of hunting the farm my father in law grew up on plus all of the land near there...so 1.5miles west to lake superior and roughly 1mile north to LS...

for ground not too badly mineralized, i'd go with the Tejon. will pick up everything from small gold to huge hunks of iron.. and it runs deep...
I run a Fisher right now, but am trading that out soon. Too much mineralization here and Fisher's are way too sensitive.

you could also just run a youtube search for md'ing in the woods/fields/farms...

here's a nice farm find:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/best-treasurenet/125490-now-i-am-believer-there-silver-caches-out-there-5-3-4-lbs-worth.html

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter