Mild WARNING for Canadians...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bne74honda

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently ordered and received a wonderfully produced probe from a recommended member on this site. The product was manufactured precisely as promised and delivered promptly to my door at the agreed upon price. Full satisfaction.

HOWEVER, (and this in no way reflects on the seller of the product) we no longer enjoy a full free trade agreement with our friendly neighbours to the south. As a result, UPS arrived at my door asking for an additional $38 CAD C.O.D charge for customs. Unless you have a broker ($$) to import US items, you will pay a similar charge on top of any other charges incurred on your purchase.

This is not meant to discourage trade between members here, but just to forewarn all our friends!

Brian Edwards

wberry

Reaction score
Brian,
If you feel the import duty is unjustified, you can appeal it. I have done so with several E-Bay items. Unfortunately, in my experience, UPS seems to be somewhat thorough in presenting potentially dutiable items whereas items shipped via the post from USA to Canada often pass through without extra duty being added. The duty may have been assigned in an arbitary manner (who has specialized knowledge of whether a probe constitutes a dutiable item?) so investigate appealing it and getting your money back.
Wayne Berry

kumtow

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have bought a number of bottles from all over the world in the past 3 years and I have discovered the following: [8|]
1. Australia Post (Normal postal service) allows up $AU1000 (tax free limit) in a parcel before they apply any duties or taxes for items coming into OZ. So, items entering Australia by the postal system generally get away without attracting taxes.
2. On the other hand, stuff coming into Australia by USPS or FEDEX have a limit of $AU250 before attracting tax/duties. About a year ago I bought some bottles from South America which were shipped via FEDEX, value $350AU. Shipping cost was $US60 so the total was about $450AU. When the items arrived (very fast) I had to pay $95AU in fees and taxes. $50 was a customs fee for being over the $250 tax free limit and another $45 as 10% of value of item (value of item includes the cost of shipping). The bottles had now cost me more than they were worth. [:mad:] As a result I try to avoid USPS and FEDEX as it can get expensive.[>:]

Maybe Canada has similar tax and import duty laws

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi All, I actually changed my 'will ship to' locations on my e-bay auctions due to the duty issue with Canada. I had to cancel a sale of a med bottle with contents to a guy in Canada due to the restrictions in Canada - alcohol, inflamable, etc! I also was under the impression that the Free Trade Agreement eliminated most duties with our neighbor to the north?[&:] I shipped a package to Kim in OZ, but used priority US Mail instead of UPS/FedEx - it cost just about the same, but no issues with duties.[;)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
.TheNYBittersCollector.