Modern German half-post bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

kungfufighter

Reaction score
As per some recent discussions on the forum...

http://www.bottlebooks.com/germanhalfpost/german_half_post.htm

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Jeff,

Good catch. That young lady who posted hers here isn't gonna want to hear about this... https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/German-Half-post-bottle%3F/m-279793/tm.htm

Gold-Diggers-of-1933.jpg

CanYaDigIt

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this is the one being sold by a big auction company. Ouch!

hmm......that's not right. Hold on one sec.

Well, the link wont work. Search American Bottle Auctions previous auctions for Half Post. Top of the page.

Here's the link for them
http://www.americanbottle.com/past-auctions.php

kungfufighter

Reaction score
To Jeff Wichmann's credit (he is the principal at American Bottle Auctions) it was he who sent me and others the link to Digger's article. That's a stand up move for sure.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Just reinforces what we already figured, its not old.
Doesnt answer the question of where they are coming from.

As far as big auctions go...if you dont know what you are bidding on , dont bid on it. Dont take thier word for it , they arent working for you , they are working for the seller.

also,
I dont consider base wear the definative attribute for dating a bottle. It is just one charactoristic to take into account. It is certainly possible to have an 18th century piece of glass with little or no base wear.

CanYaDigIt

Reaction score
I agree Jeff (kungfufighter). I've met Jeff Wichmann several times, and he is a very stand up guy. I'm sure he would never intentionally misrepresent an item he was selling. Number one, that would be detrimental to his business, number two, he just wouldn't do it. He sells some of the best bottles known. Why misrepresent a $250 bottle? He even GAVE me one of his western bitters books in Auburn, and signed it. That's a $100+ book, for free. That's a stand up guy if I've ever met one.

kungfufighter

Reaction score
Couldn't agree with you more about the base wear issue Matt. It is but one of the multitude of clues that help determine age.

I do understand that the article does not break new ground but I thought it might be important to remind folks that there is overwhelming evidence supporting the notion that these bottles are of modern manufacture.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I'm not saying the auction companies purposely misrepresent items, I'm saying its the buyer's responsibility to know what they are paying money for. Its the sellers' responsibility to describe the items as accurately as possible and run an honest auction. In many cases they know very little about the bottles they are selling. The variety of glass out there is huge and no one can be an expert on it all.

Bottom line is , if you dont know what you are bidding on , you shouldnt be bidding (unless you are that lucky son of a gun who just won the $300 million state lottery :) .

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I do understand that the article does not break new ground but I thought it might be important to remind folks that there is overwhelming evidence supporting the notion that these bottles are of modern manufacture.

Its always good to get out the word on stuff like that. Less people will get burned.
I salute him for the effort.

adshepard

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: GuntherHess

also,
I dont consider base wear the definative attribute for dating a bottle. It is just one charactoristic to take into account. It is certainly possible to have an 18th century piece of glass with little or no base wear.

Especially those we find underwater. Most every bottle I have picked up diving has absolutely no base wear. In fact those I find underwater are more likely to have side wear more than anything else.

Alan

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2