Modern Pharmacy Pasadena Cal

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SBDave

Reaction score
Hey! I was wondering if anyone could please provide some insight as to who made this bottle, when it was made, and its value. The bottle is about 3.5" tall and is embossed on one side with "MODERN PHARMACY PASADENA CAL." The base is embossed with the number "2717" and there appears to be some more faint numbers under that. The seams run about 3/4 of the way up the neck and the lip seems to be a little skewed. The bottle is a very light shade of purple and there are a couple tiny bubbles in the glass. Thank you in advance for your help!

http://www.davidbasham.net/3.jpg

http://www.davidbasham.net/4.jpg

botlguy

Reaction score
Hey Dave, welcome to the bottle forums. Don't know anything about that company but the bottle appears to be vintage 1890-1910. As far as the company that actually manufactured the bottle I don't know. Typically there are more clues on the base than just a number but perhaps one of our more astute members can shed some light.

I have heard that there is a book on California pharmacy bottles and I am going to try to acquire one. That book may help pin down the information you are seeking. Good Luck.

SBDave

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply! I've been doing some more research and think its contents might've been from the Owl Drug Company. Apparently, some Owl Drug Company bottles just listed the name of the local drug store that sold their products (in this case the Modern Pharmacy in Pasadena). I could be completely wrong though.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Dave,

Welcome to the Blue Pages & thanks for showing your Modern Pharmacy.

They had 2 locations in 1916:

"Modern Pharmacy 44 E Colorado
Modern Pharmacy Branch 1267 N Fair Oaks Av" 1916 Era Druggist's Directory.

"MODERN PHARMACY Green & Salsbury Props 44 E Colorado (See
left bottom lines}
Modern Pharmacy Branch FH Whitman branch mgr 1267 N Fair Oaks" 1918 Thurston's Directory.

The Owl Drug Co. were, themselves, retail druggists. They also wholesaled proprietary preparations. I do not see any connection between Owl & Modern, but who knows...

Owl_Drug.jpg
From.

SBDave

Reaction score
Right on, thanks for the info! I appreciate it!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson