Mon-Wed diggin in NH-Maine

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
Hi guys,
after all the flooding up here, I was checked out a river that I had heard about that had overflowed it's banks, and carved a new river. I saw pictures on the news of a dried up river with fish flapping around, and an old dam, which had dried up, which I thought might have a dead river, with a carpet of old trash and bottles laying exposed below it.
I found the river in Epsom NH, and found the dieing fish, and empty river, but no bottles. It was an amazing sight though, as a half mile expanse of river, had changed course, leaving an old mill, and river dry. This was no small river either, it looked as if some gigantic beast had carved it's way through the forest and ripped trees and earth from the ground to travel the path of least resistance. It was worth the trip through the woods just to find this spot. There were helicopters from the army corps of engineers flying overhead trying to decide if they would try to rebuild the rivers path, but word is that they will have to let it take it's new course, it is that giant.
Unfortunatly for me, there were no houses nearby, and the mill had dumped no trash that I could find. So it wasn't the bottle digging nervana that I had hoped.
I travelled down this empty stream bed, which reminded me of the final scene of the Planet of the Apes somehow, as if all human existance had been deminished, and the flapping dead catfish in the pockets of water still remaining were all that were left of life on earth.
Before the dam had burst it's capacity, and the river had carved it's new path, the river had risen to historical levels. In doing so, it exposed some trash that had been dumped down the side of a hill. The sun reflected glass, and I wandered through the muck to investigate.
It turned out to be a 1880's to 1920's batch of trash that I believe was dumped by a truck or wagon, all at the same time, maybe in the 1920's, when they dumped all the trash on the farm, and in the privy, and anywhere else they could find it all at the same time, along with rocks and sand.
This resulted in what I found there, an undug dump, on a 60 degree angle heading down into what was now an empty river.
With all the rock, alot of the stuff was smashed, but I found an amazing amount of whole bottles. It was hit or miss. I'd find a shard to an old New England flask, then a whole screw top bottle, then a whole BIM bottle. Hard to figure, but I am grateful for what I was able to get.
A few goodies, a bunch of commons ( no photos ), and some awesome shards.
Here goes some pics.
First one is a rare cure from New York, let me know if you've ever seen one! Clear glass, tooled lip, about 6" tall, embossing reads " Relief Manufacturing Co. 46 Beaver St. New York" on one side, and on the other "Trade Mark/ Bronchine/ Specific for Cure of Bronchitis, Coughs, & Catarrh" . Ever seen one?

downeastdigger

Reaction score
try again

02F116EA7154456A9BC6B4AB587C41E0.jpg

Attachments

• 02F116EA7154456A9BC6B4AB587C41E0.jpg
    02F116EA7154456A9BC6B4AB587C41E0.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 53

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Pictures are coming through as "attachments" I dont know why, hopefully you can see them. What a pain.

Anyways, this one was the find of the day for me. It is a mint, emerald green Gargling Oil , Lockport NY, smooth base, larger size, really really crude and whittled. Really made my day!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webster