Monkey?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Photon440

Reaction score
I notice that both the 12oz. and the quart size were listed as 9 1/2 inches high on those McAllister bottles.

acls

Reaction score
That is strange Photon. I wonder if that is actually accurate. If it is that would be one short/squatty quart.

Souds like a cool room Tom. I reread that post and I sound like Mr. Moneybags talking about $250 quarts. [:D] Of course I just meant their topping off point is much cheaper than the smaller bottles.

Pat- I read your post about quarts not doing it for you. You know, they don't do it for me either. I got to thinking about why that is and here is what I came up with... I think it is because when I was younger getting a soda at the Zippy Mart was a big deal. So if my Mom bought me a 10oz, ice cold, Strawberry Nehi it was not only a treat, but a treat that was "all mine". Mom did buy quarts occasionally, but you had to pour your soda into glasses to drink and share it with everyone else. It just wasn't quite as great as getting that individual cold soda to drink out of a bottle. When I buy a bottle in my collection it's just more appealing if I can hold it my hand and think about what a treat it must have been to whoever got to pop that cap years ago and enjoy it. Not sure if that makes any sense or even why I felt the need to share that in my rambling post, but that's my 2 cents anyways,

T D

Reaction score
I think you've hit the nail on the head. I thought about that when the thread was new, but did not know how to say it. I grew up in 60's and 70's and remember mostly Cokes, Pepsi, Sprite, etc...but you're right, it's the ownership thing. It was yours, you drank it then, didn't have put it up for later, and didn't have to share it. Plus I think the attraction is not only in the label, but also the bottle shape. Something about the quart just doesn't have the same "lines" as the 10 or 12 oz. bottles. Very few, if any of the quart bottles are very attractive as far as the glass is concerned.

T D

Reaction score
this one just ended. I guess the green glass made it alittle more attractive...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120454096230&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching&autorefresh=true

F25E22F249714739B9BBCDB8A5E9C314.jpg

Attachments

• F25E22F249714739B9BBCDB8A5E9C314.jpg
    F25E22F249714739B9BBCDB8A5E9C314.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 83

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
acls,
I'd like to add to your thoughts, a little. I think it has a lot to do with how it actually 'feels' in your hand. It fits. The big ones don't. I do remember chugging soda out of the big ones, though - never good to get caught doing that!

acls

Reaction score
I agree psyhodoodle. The feel of a 10 ounce soda in your hand is definitely great. There is something about the weight of those old soda bottles and how they fi perfectly into your hand.

Td- You are right about the lines. I think the size of the smaller bottles is the perfect "mini canvas" for the label. I think they do have better lines and embossing than the quarts. So you don't like the little green glass ACLs too much. It's interesting how everyone has their preferences. I have heard about a collector who only collects green glass ACLs. He has a whole wall full of them. Knew another collector who was really into the ambers. If it was amber he had to have it and had a bunch of them. Most of the time I prefer clear glass bottles myself. I think clear glass is less distracting on most nice ACLs, that's just me though.

morbious_fod

Reaction score
Personally I'm a sucker for green, although I collect ambers and clear as well. While I like the 10 and 7 ounce bottles, I do have a soft spot in my heart for quart sizes. The main reason is that with some varieties you don't see the quarts as often as the smaller bottles, things may be different with some of the smaller brands; however, most of the time I'm not that interested in them unless they are local. Good examples of this are the Nesbitts quart that I own, while I see the small versions all the time I've only seen three of the quarts in my time of collecting, I've only seen two of the Ma's beverages quarts when I've seen quite a few of them as well, Orange Crushs while more plentiful are still in shorter supply than their 6 and 7oz cousins, of course the OC's aren't acl.

I guess it just comes down to personal taste. I would go gaga over a green Mission Beverages quart and most would just thumb their nose at it. Thus is life.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26