Monroe La. Straight side coke !

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Revised/Edited/Updated Subject to change depending on future evidence Joseph Renwick Timeline

( I have never seen a middle name or initial for Joseph and suspect he didn't have one )

( Joseph's father was Wiley Polk Renwick ~ Abbreviated here as W.P. )

1840 W.P. Renwick born on August 15, 1840 ~ Georgia
1861 W.P. Renwick Joins Confederate army during the Civil War
1863 W.P. Renwick captured at Vicksburg, Mississippi on July 4, 1863 ~ Lieutenant
1868 Joseph Renwick born on July 4, 1868 ~ Louisiana
(Ironically, Joseph was born five years to the day after his father was captured at Vicksburg)
1870 W.P. listed in census as retail grocer
1873 W.P. listed as river boat agent
1881 W.P. listed as Monroe city councilmen
1887 Joseph employed as firewood supplier for Trousdale Brothers Grocery
1888 Joseph self employed as firewood supplier
1889 Joseph listed as member of the fraternal organization "Ouachita Pelicans" ~ Captain
1900 Joseph listed in census as cotton buyer
1904 Possible date when Joseph Renwick first bottled Coca Cola in Monroe, La.
1906 Earliest found (Confirmed) listing for Ouachita Valley Bottling Works
1910 Monroe Directory list Joseph as president of the Ouachita Valley Bottling Works
1912 Monroe Directory list Ouachita Valley Bottling Works as bottler of Coca Cola
1912 Joseph Renwick sells Ouachita Valley Bottling works to Joseph Biedenharn
1913 Monroe Directory list Joseph as a dairymen ~ Wildwood Farm Dairy
1914 Joseph listed as a dairymen as well as being in the real estate business
1928 Wiley Polk Renwick died April 27, 1928 ~ 88 years old
1930s Joseph Renwick dairymen and involved in Monroe civic affairs including school board
1942 Joseph Renwick died April 24, 1942 ~ 73 Years old

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. 1. My amber bottle shipped from Virginia2. Mark's amber bottle shipped from Georgia3. My aqua bottle shipped from Arkansas Note: Because the sellers might be members of this forum, I'd rather not mention their names.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Talk about misleading ...

Please educate me where this Ouachita Valley Bottling Works bottle that's currently on eBay ...

1. Is marked that it's a Coca Cola bottle?
2. Is an early paper labeled Coca Cola bottle?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-STRAIGHT-SIDED-COCA-COLA-BOTTLE-MONROE-LOUISIANA-early-Quachita-Valley-/301334096151?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4628e96917

Seller's Description:

Real nice example. Embossed "QUACHITA VALLEY BOTTLING WORKS MONROE, LA." In slug plate. Owned by the Biedenharn family of Vicksburgh, MS. Early paper labeled coca cola bottle. No chips or cracks.

By the way, I sent the seller an email and asked him to check and see if the bottle had any letters, numbers, or symbols embossed on it. However, I did not attempt to educate him. Who knows, maybe he forgot to show a picture of the other side of the bottle. I'll let you know what he has to say when I hear back from him. I normally wouldn't post something like this but doubt anyone is going to pay a starting bid of $125.00.

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
Bob, i definitely believe all the ebay sellers of our bottles are on this site including this newest one. I am willing to bet the farm that "coca cola" is not embossed anywhere on this bottle

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
Bob, it says this bottle is embossed on the bottom NPC &Co. A few posts back you asked me to go back to the museum and see what was on the bottom of the large OVBW bottle. That's it, NPC& Co.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Mark You must have tapped into the "new description" right after the seller updated it. I just now got a reply from him saying the same thing. The O.V.B.W. hutchinson bottle also has the NPC & Co. mark, which I researched but never was able to determine what it stood for. You probably noticed in the revised description that the bottle is also marked on the heel with ROOT 539, which I'm researching now and trying to connect a date with. I'll be back!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Long story short ... Based on the information in the Bill Porter article I have been referring to, the best I can come up with is that the ROOT 539 mark was used sometime between about 1905 and 1909. Which really doesn't help us all that much because we already knew the O.V.B.W. was in operation during that time period. But one thing is for sure - that ain't no Coca Cola bottle!

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
Bob, i just looked at my center slug plate OVBW bottle and it doesn't have a maker's mark on it. It is BIM with an applied top.

Attachments

• 6d3b068db2ab4289beba35eb22ea6f17.jpg
    6d3b068db2ab4289beba35eb22ea6f17.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 77

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Bass Assassin said:
Bob, i just looked at my center slug plate OVBW bottle and it doesn't have a maker's mark on it. It is BIM with an applied top.

Mark I'm not sure if there is a question tucked in there somewhere, but based on what I've learned along the way I'd guestimate your bottle to date sometime between about 1905 and 1910. The key thing I'm looking for lately is the use of the 'Trademark Registered' which, at least in the case of most Coca Cola bottles, was apparently first used around 1905 or later. Speaking of questions, here's one for you ... What you think a dinged up, scratched, clouded glass, possibly one-of-a-kind, aqua Coca Cola bottle from Monroe, Louisiana worth? If you'd rather not say, I will understand. But if you do take an honest stab at it, then I'll tell you and everyone else how much I paid for it. Plus, if I ever decide to sell it you'll be the first one on my list to offer it to. So whatta ya say? How much is such a critter actually worth? Here's a picture of it again to refresh your memory ...

Attachments

• 9e368f2320494f21ae740f9f1f62ea8c.jpg
    9e368f2320494f21ae740f9f1f62ea8c.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 82

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
Its a one of a kind that I've never seen. In my honest opinion, with the dings/chips I still think its worth every bit of 150 to a serious collector. If it were in mint condition, who knows. I am very interested to know if my neighbor/friend has one in that barn where his collection is. He used to dig in the old Monroe dump.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyH