More ACL from the Garage sale find

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
RE: More ACL -- Debossing

That is interesting. I use "debossed" and "embossed" as Sam does, but I can't find any source for "debossed" either. This may be an example of the "living language" where words and usages arise (and may later become archaic).

In one book (STONEWARE: A Guide for the Beginning Collector by Steward and Cosentino), maker's marks are described as "impressed, painted, embossed, scratched, stenciled, or stamped on the individual piece." In BOTTLES ON THE WESTERN FRONTIER, Wilson uses the term "incised" to describe the maker's mark on stoneware ale bottles.

I rather like the term "deboss (debossment, debossing, debossed)," and I will continue to use it. That is how the language changes -- through usage.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

flasherr

Reaction score

I have always used it the opposite as all of you and so has any collectors in my area. Texas Oklahoma region. As the word debossed has evolved to be used in the hobby, maybe regional thoughts are the same way. The main bottle that this has been used with in my area is with the DR pepper bottle. This is the 2 variations I am talking about you cant really tell by the pictures but the one on left is raised and right is pressed. Are there any other bottles that it might refer to.
Brian

Yw68658.jpg

Attachments

• Yw68658.jpg
    Yw68658.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 122

Harry Pristis

Reaction score

I don't know about any regional usage, Flasherr.

I did a search for "debossment" on the www, and found interesting info. I didn't get past the first page of hits, but did find an OLD BOTTLE & GLASS COLLECTOR article, NEW YORK CITY BOTTLE LEGACIES: KNICKERBOCKER, WILLIAM & GEORGE EAGLE, THE CRYSTAL PALACE and More (part III) by Gary Guest.

Here is the pertinent part:
...and an 8oz. stoneware in a dark Albany slip glaze debossed, S.S. Knickerbocker Porter 1849, as well as a commoner 8oz. S.S. Knickerbocker, with no additional debossment.

Guest describes "embossed" glass bottles and "debossed" stoneware bottles.

Judging from some of the other hits, "debossment" may have its roots in printing.

So, Sam, we are not too far afield in our usage.

----------Harry Pristis [8|]

Sam_MaineBottles

Reaction score

I checked my copy of 'American Stoneware Bottles' by David Graci (1995) where he freely uses the term debossed to describe names, products and dates found on stoneware bottles.

- Sam

Sam_MaineBottles

Reaction score

This topic brings up another question I have regarding stoneware bottles. I have three Maine stoneware bottles (actually produced in Scotland) that have labels that aren't embossed, debossed or paper. Which term: painted, stamped, screened or stenciled would be the best to use to describe the label on the bottle I have pictured?

- Sam

Rp43554.jpg

bigkitty53

Reaction score

Hi Sam,
Your bottle is what is called a 'transfer-printed'stoneware bottle.

KAT

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter