Moxie Mystery ACL Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

VernorsGuy

Reaction score
Hi Soda Bob -
Always love reading your research. I have to agree with @FreeBirdTim about the “why?” Not to mention forgers usually miss some details and your bottle keeps passing your tests. I like your “re-using” theory. I find the same thing with Vernor’s bottles and it’s very frustrating because the bottle is dated and you darn well know that’s not the year. (See attachment of 1929 ACL bottle.) Thanks for your thorough explanation and I hope it turns out you bought a rarity.

Attachments

• 9101ADCC-130F-44ED-B1CE-5576712DE1EF.jpeg
    9101ADCC-130F-44ED-B1CE-5576712DE1EF.jpeg
    324.1 KB · Views: 34

hemihampton

Reaction score
from what I read or impression I got was Bottlers preferred switching to ACL's because returned bottles had to be washed & sterilized in Hot water to clean & rinse & reuse. by doing this the paper label would not last & deteriorate. Not a problem washing & reusing the ACL. Leon.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your comments and kudos.
The maine reason I started this thread wasn't just to share what I originally thought was a 1920s bottle with a 1930s ACL, but also to draw attention to the practice of repurposing old bottles. I especially like Kieth's contribution about the Vernor's first ACL bottle, which he dated 1929. Even though there is very little information currently known about the so-called repurposing of old bottles, this thread might generate enough interest to take it to the next level and see what else is out there.

Regarding this Moxie bottle that's on eBay, I still intend to bid on it before it closes tomorrow. Even though it may not be a 1926 made by the American Bottle Co. with a 1930s ACL, I am willing to take that gamble unless it goes for over $40 - which is still my max.

Moxie / eBay / 26N according to seller

https://shorturl.at/cJZ09

I have also been watching these Moxie bottles on eBay ...

American Bottle Co. 27N (Non ACL)
https://shorturl.at/ozD45

Owens-Illinois 1935 or 1945 (ACL)
https://shorturl.at/lyDN6

Owens-Illinois 1942 - Faded/Ghost Label (ACL)
https://shorturl.at/rDF49

Glenshaw ACL - Ring Codes = M* on one side and 23 on the other side = 1941*
https://shorturl.at/gTW35

*When I first saw this bottle there was nothing mentioned about ring codes. So I contacted the seller and educated him about what to look for. He finally found them and sent me the attached photos - which are not currently shown in the listing. Even though he said the number was 23, it kind of looks like a 22 to me. But regardless of that, I'm confident that the M stands for 1941. (See attached Glenshaw table)

I plan to look for more of the so-called repurposed / reused ACL bottles and will let you know what I find - if anything? If anyone has one that they think qualifies, please share it with us for examination. If we can find enough of them we might open up a whole new category of collecting early-early ACL soda bottles.

Thanks again to all

Bob

Moxie ACL Glenshaw M 1941.jpg

Moxie ACL Glenshaw 23.jpg

Glenshaw Codes Sweeney ACL Book 2002.jpg

acls

Reaction score
The most logical answer is that the ACL was added to a 1922 bottle well after 1922.

SODABOB

Reaction score
I placed a bid on the 26N ACL Moxie bottle that ends tomorrow. If someone wants it more than I do, just place a $41 bid and it could be yours. I still think it's a 1920s (repurposed) bottle with a 1930s ACL. I might be be wrong but I'm willing to take a gamble on it.

SODABOB

Reaction score
VernorsGuy / Keith

I plan to conduct a search for the so-called repurposed soda bottles and thought I would start with your Vernor's ACL bottle. In the page you posted it says 10 to 100 known examples. Even though that's not very many, it gives us an idea of what might be out there. Just to be clear about the bottle itself, is it the one that has "Deliciously Different" embossed on the shoulder? This example on eBay is not an ACL, but it does have that wording on it. Is it like your's that has the ACL?

Vernor's Bottle / Deliciously Different / eBay / Non ACL
https://shorturl.at/hmW13

Regarding the "Deliciously Different" according to the attached trademark it was filed in 1924 and claimed a first use of 1921. I also found the phrase in the attached newspaper ad from 1921. The add shows a bottle but I'm sure it's a paper label and not an ACL. So that gives us a foundation to start with. Now all I need to find is some of the actual 1920s ACL bottles like yours. If I can't find any of them, maybe I will stumble onto some other brands of soda bottles that were repurposed with ACL. Come to think of it, maybe I already did with the 26N Moxie bottle?

Vernor Deliciously Different 1921 1924.png

Vernors 1921_Buffalo_Evening_News_Mon__May_2__1921_.jpg

Sitcoms

Reaction score
I will definitely pay closer attention to the ACL sodas that I dig; all of the ones I had within arm's reach were of expected age ('58-'61), but maybe someday I can help find another to add to this growing repertoire.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Dedicated to member epackage / Jim Eifler / 1964-2024 / General Chat

I won the 7 Oz. 26N Moxie ACL bottle and should receive it later this week. I realize the jury is still out as to whether it was made by the American Bottle Co. in 1926, and if it is indeed a repurposed bottle with a 1930s ACL. As it stands now, I honestly believe it is. I will examine it carefully and post some additional photos after it arrives. These photos are from eBay and are the only ones I currently have. Especially notice Reynoldsville Bottling on the back. I will be posting some information about them later, as well as some other stuff about 7 Oz. Moxie bottles. Also attached is an ad from the Glass Container periodical published in 1923. It indicates that Moxie bottles were exclusively made by the American Bottle Co. at the time. I thought this was especially cool and interesting.

More Later / Bob

Note: I converted the base photo to B&W to enhance the base marks.

Moxie ACL 26N Reynoldsville PA Front .jpg

Moxie ACL 26N Reynoldsville PA Back.jpg

Moxie ACL 26N Reynoldsville PA Base.jpg

Moxie American Bottle Co 1923.png

SODABOB

Reaction score
Moxie / American Bottle Co. / RE-LY-ON Bottler / 1922

Moxie American Bottle Co 1922 (Source).jpeg

Moxie American Bottle Co 1922.png

SODABOB

Reaction score
If ...

If my 7 Oz. N26 Moxie bottle was made by American Bottle in 1926, then it's highly possible it's one of the first 7 Oz. Moxie bottles ever made. It was in 1926 that Moxie introduced what they called their "Kid Moxie" bottle. This is just one of many ads I found about it ...

Kid Moxie 1926_The_Meriden_Daily_Journal_Wed__Sep_22__1926_.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn