Moxie Nerve Food given to me

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Dcravosa

Reaction score
True. Every time I drive from CT to MA for my kids' ice hockey tournaments, I bring home a couple cases.

epgorge

Reaction score
JohnDeereMoxie said:
I thought the Diet only had sassafras ?? Also I never heard cocaine to be in it and yes it was more popular than coke and still tastes better ;)
That is a very good point, JohnDeerMoxie. Conventional wisdom and Augustin Thompson would say it did not have cocaine in it "or any other harmful ingredients" but in the book "Beverages" written in 1888 by Charles Sultz, it is mentioned that the "Nerve Foods" of the day, had Cocaine in them (http://www.mariettasodamuseum.com/moxie_facts.htm see paragraph 7). Also, this article mentions that if Mr. Thompson was less than truthful about the marketing use of a Lt. Moxie as the founder of the main ingredients, how can we believe him when he says there were "no harmful ingredients" in Moxie. Another salient point, the article mentions, was that the earlier Moxie would cure "nervous exhaustion, loss of manhood, imbecility and helplessness". Cocaine certainly would have done that.So, I can not say it did have Cocaine in it, but there are early era articles that question that just, maybe it did. Please keep in mind that back then Cocaine was not illegal. It was a medicine.Joel

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Don't forget it's value to the temperance movement. It stayed off the craving of alcohol and drugs. Words like that anyway, isms and addiction were still mostly in the future.I'll look for that ad, I have it somewhere.

JohnDeereMoxie

Reaction score
Nice Dean. They don't sell cases of it in SE Mass :( gotta settle for a liter. Or a 6 pack sometimes if someone in my family ventures to market basket haha

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I just went to NH and got three 12 packs for $10. I've never seen a soda in NH that wasn't returnable here in MA so knock off another $1.80. I'll have to check the cans though...................Yup, MA returnable.[:)]Kind of sounds like a Seinfeld episode, doesn't it? [:)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen