Moxie Nerve Food given to me

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Just a little further down the page Joel. Post-bottom moldAnd may or may not have used a Snap-case & Sabot: Some makers could do without if they were real skilled and the mold and base don't have much to so with the use of one.Getting picky, sorry but I wanted to clarify just a wee bit more.

epgorge

Reaction score
No not picky at all. There is much speculation in dating, as Mr. Lindsey states, though that is the issue here, the date of this bottle. The snap tool was predominately used 1850 to 1860 and was short lived, not to say they were not used after more modern equipment was being invented. I expect this bottle to be mid 1880's to 1900. The "pat 86" (I believe) is the date of the Moxie Patent.EpFrom the page:The sabot and snap-case were innovative and possibly revolutionary tools that replaced the pontil rod almost entirely during the 1850s and to mid-1860s (Scoville 1948; Munsey 1970; Innes 1976; McKearin & Wilson 1978). On another note; how would you have liked to have been a gaffer's mold boy back then? 4 and 1/2 hours on and one hour off, then, 4 and 1/2 hours more of squatting. Talk about back problems.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
That's commercially. The formula was developed earlier and like Coca Cola sold as a fountain drink/medicine.OK, that's sold but doesn't necessarily mean commercially for patent date purposes.The internet is full of misinformation. Some sources say 1876-78, others later to 1880-82. Others may be different than those, they do have holes. The books they cite probably couldn't find what they really needed at the time either. Still to this day I doubt anyone knows the whole story.If anyone had a bottle with a patent day month year or pat # that would would be great, I'd like to answer the question once and for all. I still think it was "Nerve Food" getting trade marked (or attempting to) in 1885.

epgorge

Reaction score
"The internet is full of misinformation" There is an understatement!! That is why I post where the info comes from. Most all the information I read here, unless otherwise sighted, comes from the internet.The info was corroborated from the web: "The history of Moxie from the Marietta Soda Museum:" It was actually a better selling product than Coca Cola, for a time. Both had cocaine (According to "Beverages" written by Charles Sulz in 1888, the popular "Nerve Foods" that are being sold use cocaine as their primary ingredient.)in it, purportedly. It also had sassafras in it until Food and Drug outlawed Sassafras in 1960.Now all that being said, what is your opinion on the pat 86 on the bottom. I doubt it is a mold number.Joel On another note; why am I only a super member? I was a supporter before I revisited after being sick. Do you need more money?

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
According to "Beverages" written by Charles Sulz in 1888, the popular "Nerve Foods" that are being sold use cocaine as their primary ingredient.)in it, purportedly. It also had sassafras in it until Food and Drug outlawed Sassafras in 1906
Now all that being said, what is your opinion on the pat 86 on the bottom. I doubt it is a mold number.
Joel
The sassafras is another sort of mystery. The plant was allowed but safrole had to be out of it. What does that mean? Beats the *** out of me but it started in the early 1960's (not 1906, a reversal of numbers maybe). Again, follow the links and choose the correct one.I have no idea why the supporter badge went away but I know the site is expensive to maintain and at some point the green badges were going to be discontinued. It is hopeful to get something more annual but not required.I personally don't know how he did it for as long as he has but I sure appreciate it. I've donated every year since the day I became a non guest in 2004.I'm not bragging but... okay, maybe I am bragging a bit.[:)]

epgorge

Reaction score
"but safrole had to be out of it. What does that mean? Beats the *** out of me"You are absolutely correct. The use of safrole in MDMA or "Ecstasy" persuaded the feds to outlaw the ingredient in the 1960's "war on drugs"!

JohnDeereMoxie

Reaction score
I thought the Diet only had sassafras ?? Also I never heard cocaine to be in it and yes it was more popular than coke and still tastes better ;)

JohnDeereMoxie

Reaction score
I thought the Diet only had sassafras ?? Also I never heard cocaine to be in it and yes it was more popular than coke and still tastes better ;)

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen