MT. Vernon, NY. Mantua, Ohio,New England Glass Company Blown three mold decanters and cologne

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

earlyglass

Reaction score
Hi Steve,

In my opinion, the National Bitters is the only authentic bottle in the bunch. I believe that they others are 20th century... sorry to break it to you!

Mike

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Mike are you crazy Ill mail them to you so you can inspect them.The only one out of the bunch that would be suspect is the green Ohio but I am telling you they are the real deal.

kungfufighter

Reaction score
Sorry to say that I am firmly in Mike's corner on this one Steve...

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I have a question on the stoppers. They dont seem to be ground to fit? How could they actually function? Just decorative?

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I have a question on the stoppers. They dont seem to be ground to fit? How could they actually function? Just decorative?
I should wait for a pro but I'll step on a rotten limb and say...
I don't think all stoppers were ground in the early part of the decanter making. They weren't "just decorative" but functioned more to keep dust out than the alcohol in. I think you were supposed to drink it before that happened.[8|]

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well all of you, I can't say much but I have spent a lot of time reading about these and getting some pieces that might have he4en made from glass out of the three molds and shaped into other ware. Most of them are suspect reproduction junk maybe but they were made with the same process. I have a nice saucer that is exactly the same as one in Knittle's book and I am quite sure is very old.

I only have one well supported Sandwich 3-mold with the matching stopper, that I am confident is the real McCoh!!

I will have to go back and pick u[p on your files Steve to make sure I have the information that you have given us here. Thanks for what you give us. RED M.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
At least some early stoppers were ground. I have dug some broken ones in 18th century sites and they were ground. They were lead glass and most likely imported though, dont know if that makes some difference.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well I went back and I know from some of my studies and comparisons with stoppers and McKearin's books I also know that a lot of the early ones were made without ground sealing capabilities. My Sandwich wasn't ground and I have three of four stoppers that weren't ground. RED Matthews

Latest posts

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26