Muriatic Watch Out

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Coke is actually a very good cleaner. It will remove grease stains from dark clothes, take oil stains off a driveway or garage floor, takes 'scales' out of tea kettles, polishes coins, removes rust stains from sinks, it's nearly as good as tomato juice to rid 'skunk' from pets, is great for tenderizing steaks and lastly, there's a whole generation of us that dentists love, because we drank so much of the stuff when we were young.....[8D]

Bottle Diver

Reaction score
I have found coke to work well removing organic material from some of my bottles, however, I tried it on some interesting "china bits" that had a couple of cracks in the glaze, and the coke seeped right in and left a lovely brown stain throughout. I guess I should have seen that coming [:mad:]. So careful using it with china!

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Bottlediver,
Try soaking the china in a bleach solution to remove the stains.Coke's colouring is caramel(burnt sugar)-an organic.Bleach should oxidize it,if not try one the laundry 'Oxi-Clean'-'Oxi-Blue's.'

Hope this works,

KAT

Bottle Diver

Reaction score
Thanks bigkitty. I did try bleach, but to no avail. It dulled the colouring, but certainly did not get rid of it. I never thought of Oxy-clean though, I have some of that I will give it a try tonight. I'll try any other suggestions people might have too, I guess I can't really make it any worse [;)]

IRISH

Reaction score
Soak it in clean water for a week or more then in a weak solution Citric Acid or even better Oxalic Acid, Citric acid is avalible in supermarkets and the like and is about as dangerous as lemons [;)] (it is the main acid in lemons), leave it in the acid for a few weeks then soak it in water for at least twice as long as the acid and change often.
Thats the main procedure I use for stains in stone and china (I use Phosphoric Acid though, the chemical that's in small amounts in coke that makes it clean stuff in the first place [;)] ).
Hope it helps [:)] .

Bottle Diver

Reaction score
Thanks Irish, I will try that exact procedure. They have been soaking in water for about a week now, after the attempted bleaching, so I'll give it another week and begin your process. Please excuse my ignorance, but what is Oxalic Acid and where could I get that?

Thanks

Miles

Reaction score
I know this is a very old thread, but I'm curious about something. Vinegar will remove the sickness off bottles?

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Miles, I have tried vinegar to clean some of my minerals eg; removing calcium based deposits ( I am a mineral specimen dealer) It works best when heated, almost all acids work best when warmed.. Taz

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229