My bad luck!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Same old, same old. Broken thing. It has "AN/ST./.J.". No idea what it once said.

E46A5C72A79C4B4AA476714E816755EF.jpg

Attachments

• E46A5C72A79C4B4AA476714E816755EF.jpg
    E46A5C72A79C4B4AA476714E816755EF.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 42

Wheelah23

Reaction score
This is one with the old Owens-Illinois mark. In the slot for the date code, there's a six. Since it is a single-digit date code, it is a year ending in a six. Since they stopped using single digit date codes in 1946, I can mostly confirm that this shard is from 1936. It could be 1946, but that would be unlikely.

513B2A463F864F5098935C00AE0F1866.jpg

Attachments

• 513B2A463F864F5098935C00AE0F1866.jpg
    513B2A463F864F5098935C00AE0F1866.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 42

Wheelah23

Reaction score
That's all. Maybe I've found two dumps. One seems to be from the late 1800's, and one is from the 30's and 40's.

In support of this conclusion are the (unfortunately) broken bottles I've found. I've found some shards that would've had the "Federal Law Prohibits..." phrase on them. I've also found some shards with makers' marks that indicate a pre-1950, post-1930 dump. I didn't picture these because I already know about them. I'll continue to dig here in the hope that I'll find something. Do you guys think I will...?

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I think you need a visit to the optician, Mr. Lobey.. these photos look nice and crisp to me... [8|]

cubby01

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Wheelah23
<snip>... I'll continue to dig here in the hope that I'll find something. Do you guys think I will...?
I think in all likelyhood those bottles all discarded there broken or were put there to *be broken*. Unless you find something real interesting real quick I'd move on.

ORIGINAL: lobeycat
<snip>... Oh god it's just me again. [:eek:]
I'm really not wanting to just pile on but, no it's not just you.

THE BADGER

Reaction score
im thinkin it probably was a surface dump for years and surface dumps usually get found by kids ,and the rest of the story i think you know. KIDS + ROCKS = YOUR DUMP BADGER

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Thank you, Dave, that's exactly the phrase I've been searching for all evening!

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: lobeycat

alright I'll come out an say it....
Now Wheel by god this here is your forum as much as anyones and you can pretty much post anything that tickles your fancy, and I mean almost anything! But son, and now we get to the heart of the matter why post a photo that's just so out of focus people can't tell it's glass let alone a bottle? Damn son, they're so out of focus I got a little dizzy and may have thrown up a little in my mouth when my brain told my eyes to "focus, FOCUS". You sir are not the only one guilty of the henious crime so please don't I'm singling you out. Surely you far sighted people can see they unintelligble before you jammed you ham sized thumbs down on the OK button.
I have pride in the crap photos I occasionally post on here and have taken 20, 30, 50 shots of the same bottle until I get it right. I also know it can sometime seem impossible to convey the point we're trying to get across through photos. I'm a bit mental and don't expect anyone to go to those extremes but just a little more in focus and you just may double the responces to you thread.
Now Wheel I'm not picking on anyone or being mean. Just typing out what everyone else is thinking, so don't take it too personally!
Everyone else is thinking the same thing right? Oh god it's just me again. [:eek:]

LMAO I was gonna say something like that,but im glad you said it first [:D] Im freakin Blind x x

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
Lobey, you are an original :) The pictures were really blurry on my computer, or with my vision, not sure which. lol

Wheelah, thanks for the post. It took me a while to take photos for the Forum and Ebay too, that weren't blurry. I have a cheap digital camera, but it has a feature called "macro", that makes it so I can take close ups, and have them come in in-focus. It a pain, but eventually i figured it out.
I'm guessing the reason you are finding only shards is that it might be a spot that had some early "fill" dumped there. I call "fill" dirty dirt that has been trucked in, in a dump truck, from an old dumping area, and dumped out and leveled off with bulldozers etc, maybe 30 years ago, so that it's been grown in with bushes and trees now, and now looks like an old dumps site. You wind up finding old shards, maybe a whole ink or something, and marbles if you're lucky.
Just a guess.
I recognize one of the bottles possibly as a "SYRUP OF HYPOPHOSPHATES" from "ST. JOHN'S N.B." (New Brunswick Canada). Where are you from? Up north here?

Hope you find some good whole ones !

Wheelah23

Reaction score
I'm from good old Jersey, but it could still be that bottle, maybe! Which shard do you think matches it? A picture of that bottle would be nice, that way I could see if it looks like my shard.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday