My best dig yet!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Well, I'd say today was my best dig in this dump so far, and pretty much ever! I dug for around 2 hours. I brought a saw and cut out a couple of big annoying roots. I hit a small pocket of good bottles that unfortunately ended as soon as it started.

I dug my first whole local blobs, AND my first hutch too! These alone made my day, and I found some other stuff too. The two blobs I found are both from the same firm. The funny thing is, that firm is the one of which I found a porcelain stopper, which was my first local find in the dump! Even better, epackage is going to give me some Hutter wire closures tomorrow, so I can match the stopper to one of the bottles!

The blobs are in fine condition. I think I will soak them in acid overnight, because the internal staining makes them look bad. They are not identical, which makes the find even better. One is a bit taller, has "THIS BOTTLE NOT TO BE SOLD" on the opposite side of the slug plate, and has a slightly different base embossing. This makes me think they were made at different glass houses.

img3713h.jpg

The base of the taller one

img3711j.jpg

Crowded slug plate embossing. I've never seen "REGISTERED" inside a slug plate before. It's usually outside it somewhere. "JAMES J. GIBLIN/ 'JJG monogram'/ REGISTERED/ WEST ORANGE, N.J."

img3710j.jpg

I found my first Bromo as well! I know everyone (except cobaltbot) hates them, but I've never dug one before, so I had to keep it. It's next to a AA battery for comparison.

img3715z.jpg

I found EVEN MORE porcelain electrical things. I'll post some more pictures in the "Unexpected Discoveries" forum.

img3716u.jpg

img3731k.jpg

This is the fifth jar lid I've dug in as many straight digs. The jar lids must be indestructible...

img3723l.jpg

I found a strange round glass thing too. Is it a doorknob? A cane handle?

img3727y.jpg

img3726.jpg

img3724a.jpg

I also dug an aqua cone ink. However, this one seems a little different. It has two "rings" around the neck. The top ring is much smaller than the lower one.

img3718t.jpg

My first Hutch! I have an almost identical bottle from this firm, except that one is a crown top. It is in great condition, with some internal stains that acid will hopefully fix. "TRADE 'Hh monogram' MARK/ REGISTERED/ THIS BOTTLE / NOT TO/ BE SOLD

img3706nl.jpg

Other side. "HENRY HAUSSLING/ NEWARK / NJ"

img3708x.jpg

Well, that's all, folks! See you next time!

creeper71

Reaction score
Did a quick search for your hutch one on ebay for 12.00 so I assume it must be a common, but you dug it so I wouldn't sell it...I still have to find a 1800's dump.... When i do find a 1800's dump I will poo poo my pants...lol

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Yeah I saw that. One also didn't sell at a starting bid of $6.99.

I don't care if it is common or not though, it's my first hutch! I don't collect Newark stuff, but it wouldn't be worth it to try and sell this bottle, so I'm keeping it.

Anthonicia

Reaction score
Congrats Wheelah! U may think that they aren't worth much in value, but to u they may be priceless. U have no idea how good u have it up in the northern cities. Here in hickville North Carolina we don't have those types of blobs and hutches. The bigger cities may, but they are few and far between. Good luck on many more digs!

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Congrats, first bottles are always nice, and that is something you can look forward to if you've just started or have been diggin for forty years! Hey I'm not the only one that likes Bromos, or even the only one to admit it, but I am one of only a few foolish enough to spend good money on them!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaireS