My Collection, lack of knowledge

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

23baseball3

Reaction score
I was walking around with my friend and we found a junk pile, and found a bunch of old bottles. This was 45 minutes out of Detroit and we got as many as we could, but most of them are frozen in the ground. Now, this was two years ago, so if I get back up to Michigan again, we'll go again. So, that inspired me to buy more, and spend a few hours cleaning them. I used salt, vinegar, and paver sand (really rough w/small bits of rock). It worked really well for the inside, and I used a soft bristled toothbrush with soapy water for the outsides and inside after the initial shaking. I just really don't know much about what I have, but I would really like to know more. At 15, I find this and baseball card collecting to be really awesome. I just won an auction of sprite bottles too (Also on my photobucket) that I am clueless about also. Any info would be greatly appreciated. All right, enough rambling, more pics:

Collection

Sprite Bottles (not yet in my possession)

tangomango

Reaction score
Sounds like your on the right path for cleaning, but be VERY careful with the sand. Some sands will scratch the glass. I use small bits of cut copper wire, works great, also heard rice works, though never used it myself.

zecritr

Reaction score
Nice job cleaning,like tango said be very careful :)
Nice Start on your collection[sm=thumbup1.gif]
Have to let the more expert (and I'm not one yet by a long shot) comment more on the individual one's
Like that Golden Age one and wish i could find acl's in that good a shape,from the ground,WTG

epackage

Reaction score
You're off to a nice start, they cleaned up well...

23baseball3

Reaction score
Thanks guys,
I will try to get some copper or something in the future. What kind of copper, just like stripped scrap wire from house construction or something? Once I get those Sprite bottles, they will receive similar treatment that the rest did. I might sift out the smaller particles of sand and use the rocks. I really like the Golden Age bottle, but I don't know what an ACL bottle is exactly. Isn't it Applied Color Label or something?

Also, if anyone was wondering, the golf ball was given to me by Nicolas Colsaerts at the Bridgestone Invitational, same with the broken tee that Tiger Woods threw into the crowd.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: 23baseball3

Thanks guys,
I will try to get some copper or something in the future. What kind of copper, just like stripped scrap wire from house construction or something?
Yes, cut into 1/8" pieces

23baseball3

Reaction score
Pretty interesting stuff. I really wish I found them! [sm=lol.gif] Some people's luck, huh?

So what is ACL exactly? Is it painted on?

Thanks for the info on copper. I'll see what I can find.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: 23baseball3

Pretty interesting stuff. I really wish I found them! [sm=lol.gif] Some people's luck, huh?

So what is ACL exactly? Is it painted on?

Thanks for the info on copper. I'll see what I can find.
Applied Color Label

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause