My Collection, lack of knowledge

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

zecritr

Reaction score
Beginning in 1933 a form of silk screening was introduced to put colored labels on milk bottles. The colored label was actually fused to the glass. This was cheaper and faster than using the molds needed for embossed milk bottles. It also made the labels much more prominent against the white background of the milk. This process was called pyroglazing (pyro for short) or Applied Color Labeling. Pyroglaze was the term used by the Thatcher Manufacturing Company of Elmira, New York. Owens-Illinois Glass Company of Toledo, Ohio used the term Applied Color Labeling or ACL for the same process. The Universal Glass Products Company of Parkersburg, West Virginia called the process Fire-Fused Color Lettering or Hi-Fired Color Lettering. Liberty Glass Company of Sapulpa, Oklahoma used the term Lustro-Color for their bottles with colored lettering.

An industry press release in May of 1933 indicated that Owens-Illinois Glass Company had developed this process at its plant in Huntington, West Virginia. Soon after, by July of 1933, they started promoting milk bottles with fused names and trademarks in color (they did not use the term ACL at that time) in their own advertisements. In August of 1932 they used the term "Applied Color" Bottles in their advertisements to refer to display milk bottles that had color fused to the inside of the glass bottle. Display milk bottles were internally colored white to simulate milk and a yellow color to indicate the cream. This was done inside the bottle and used by milk dealers in their promotional displays. One unintended use of these display milk bottles was as a way to hide liquor. Prohibition was still in place in 1932 and these painted milk bottles did a good job of concealing their contents, especially if it was not milk. We are not sure if coloring the insides of the bottle was the same technology as applying colored labels to the outside of the bottle but Owens-Illinois claimed that the colors were fused to the glass by intense heat. They said the color was an integral part of the glass and permanent and indestructible except through breakage. The first advertisement we have seen from the Thatcher Manufacturing Company for pyroglazing was in March of 1934. They used the term pyroglaze in that advertisement

an excerpt from sodapopbob in another forum :)

Floridabottledude

Reaction score
Youngstown Ohio

B07D74579D7A4BB8954A85C0368C18CE.jpg

Attachments

• B07D74579D7A4BB8954A85C0368C18CE.jpg
    B07D74579D7A4BB8954A85C0368C18CE.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 97

acls

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Dominic. Very nice. Those bottles look great for having been outdoors.

mgardziella

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! What a great collection to start out with. As a collector who started out young, I can say it's a fun hobby. My advice would be to keep learning and to not be afraid of making mistakes. At the same time, start thinking about how you are going to limit your collection. If you have no parameters such as condition, quantity, region, theme or product - you're going to find yourself overrun very quickly. Good luck!

23baseball3

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: mgardziella

My advice would be to keep learning and to not be afraid of making mistakes. At the same time, start thinking about how you are going to limit your collection. If you have no parameters such as condition, quantity, region, theme or product - you're going to find yourself overrun very quickly. Good luck!

I'm going to have to write this down somewhere, because it would probably happen if I wasn't careful. So far, my logic has been, "That's a good deal! I want it!" or, "I love that soda, I'm gonna buy that bottle," or even, "I don't have one of those..." Especially with that last bit of logic, I think I'd be stepping on bottles everywhere I went! Condition is one thing I limit myself to though, unless it can be cleaned. I will definitely keep this in mind.

celerycola

Reaction score
There is a bottle club in the Cleveland/Akron area www.ohiobottleclub.org. And there is a huge bottle show an hour away in Mansfield on May 11th.

sunrunner

Reaction score
give thuse 60s and 70s imbossed soda,a few years,and more people will be looking for them,pyros are alwas a good,investment.its hard to dig a good one,in meny places.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuctionAnnie