My First Bottle Hunt! (my story)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CMPharmD

Reaction score
(sorry for the length, but I'm very excited....)

I have been collecting bottles for a few years. I am still in college and poor as hell, and live in a moderately densely populated city. I am also the only person I know interested in bottles. I have had dreams of finding bottles of my own for years, but have had to settle for thrift store finds and antique store overpricing until I could figure out what in the world bottle diggers do to find their privies/sites....

I was eating lunch by a creek in a public park (which I had no idea was there until I poked around a bit out of boredom) and saw some bottle bits down in there. I decided to come back this weekend, and just poke around a bit, out of fun, to see if anything was there. This was just for giggles as I have NO idea what to look for in creeks besides, well, bottles...

I jumped into the shallow end of the creek, and immediately my shoe got stuck in the muck and in an effort to balance myself, I ended up planting my sock-covered foot into the sandy bottom. Looking like a fool, I ventured in, making my boyfriend keep watch for any other people walking by. I don't know how *legal* it is to carry out bottles from a public park, but I figure I could just say I was cleaning the creek, and I doubt the bottles were of any real value anyways...

After poking around the creek, I found some bottle shards, but nothing else. My boyfriend suggested the upper banks. So I ventured up, with my black garbage bag, a rod to poke with, and my dishwashing-gloves covered hands. I'm certain I looked crazy.

The higher I went up on this bank, the more shards I found, until I found an area covered with broken plates and older looking bottle parts. I was taken aback. It was actually happening! I had found a bottle dump site! (I think... still not sure... could be the site of bottle remains from the local bums)

The ground was covered in vines, old clothes, ants, and spider webs. I didn't have anything to dig with, but I kept poking around until I felt what I thought was glass. Then, like an idiot, I dug with my hands.... I didn't find much, but some bottle shards. I only dug about 6" deep and then I cut my nail, which continued to throb the rest of the hunt.

Now, I didn't find anything awesome. I searched the creek, the banks, the bottle dump area, and around it. Since I had no idea what I was doing, and I was scared of any legal issues, I only stayed an hour. I also think the site had been dug before because nearby I saw some square-like holes carved out the side of the bank, which stopped when pipe was exposed. Happily, I found some bottles laying on the dirt. They're nothing exciting (and they are not OLD-OLD, but hey, old enough for me), but I am SO HAPPY I could finally see what everyone was talking about on this site. Now at least I sort of know what bottle digging/discovery is like. I am sure that when I am able to spend more time with this hobby, my weekends will be spent digging in the dirt for glass gold.

Here are some pics of my finds. Again, nothing big, but I'm sure happy!

F56DEA8165DD41D9A0EC6A36BE18C4EA.jpg

These are all ER Drukee and Co NY. I found out that these are salad dressing bottles.

Attachments

• F56DEA8165DD41D9A0EC6A36BE18C4EA.jpg
    F56DEA8165DD41D9A0EC6A36BE18C4EA.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 61

CMPharmD

Reaction score
123CADD0EDC045C7B0D5113643C875BC.jpg

Don't know what these are. I don't even think I'm going to keep them. Second to the right says "5 Fluid Oz" on the top, and the rightmost says "premier" (?).
I am keeping the one on the left though. It's a very nice light blue.

Attachments

• 123CADD0EDC045C7B0D5113643C875BC.jpg
    123CADD0EDC045C7B0D5113643C875BC.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 57

CMPharmD

Reaction score
B51F912D737D4A5A81AD6EFA6FCAACAF.jpg

I'm keeping these ones, though. A plain bottle, a McCormick, a cobalt, and a Hick's Capudine for Headaches (neck broken)

Attachments

• B51F912D737D4A5A81AD6EFA6FCAACAF.jpg
    B51F912D737D4A5A81AD6EFA6FCAACAF.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 64

CMPharmD

Reaction score
0C04E802AEAF4DD8BA1E275CA7C40982.jpg

I thought it was cool to find a clay pipe thing since it seems all bottle diggers find them. The shard is from a Royal Palm Soda from Coca Cola bottle. I kept it because it said "Gainesville, FL" on it and it's the only thing bottle-wise I've found with my city on it.

Attachments

• 0C04E802AEAF4DD8BA1E275CA7C40982.jpg
    0C04E802AEAF4DD8BA1E275CA7C40982.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 82

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
Those look old enough for me to keep digging there! Good luck & welcome to the addiction!
That broken soda bottle is awesome! That would be cool in a mosaic, if you're artsy.[:)]
Kate

CMPharmD

Reaction score
This mark is on the bottom of the cobalt jar. Anyone familiar with it? Couldn't find anything with google....

B21C7FEC8ABD442F8D19EDB1F1749DE2.jpg

Attachments

• B21C7FEC8ABD442F8D19EDB1F1749DE2.jpg
    B21C7FEC8ABD442F8D19EDB1F1749DE2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 61

old.s.bottles

Reaction score
i would say keep digging there if you can. The screw tops aren't too special, but I bet there's good stuff underneath especially after seeing the broken soda. I woulda kept the baltimore med myself. Just think, you would be quite bummed on the rest of your digs if you only found the good stuff your first day, you gotta work your way up to the good stuff if you know what i mean.

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
It looks like there might be some good stuff there,....not sure of the ramifications about digging in a park?....In your area, here it's a no no, but if you tried to keep it low key and occasional it might be okay....sometimes no one cares, other places people overreact,...you could always plead ignorance....I like your idea about "cleaning" up....fits right in now that it's cool to be 'green'...(shouldn't it always be?)[:D]

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
If you're cleaning up, you gotta take the bad stuff out too. Maybe that's why I always have so many shards with me? I don't think you'd get arrested if you got caught. Just warned at worst. (I think).

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26