My first colored Ball Mason

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlerocket

Reaction score
I went to my favorite park/old residential neighborhood today to see if anything surfaced over the winter. In the water I saw a distinctive bluish jar. I knew it was a mason of some kind but one I have never found before. I alway seem to find the clear ones from Ball and Atlas.
It was a good 10 feet in the water so I had to risk the slippery banks and with a long stick, try to turn it around. The opening was away from me.
After playing fish, I finally turned it and was able to put the stick into the jar then carefully against the current, raise it out of the water.
After cleaning it up and dating the logo (1923-1933) I will be happy to display this.
Can anyone tell me about the colored jars, value and collectibility wise?
Thanks

Attachments

• 1a58ac954852412a8edbbd12bc872323.jpg
    1a58ac954852412a8edbbd12bc872323.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 77

Dansalata

Reaction score
NICE FIND,IN MY OPINION THEY ARE PRETTY COMMON,I FOUND A WHOLE BUNCH OF THEM IN A BASEMENT OF A HOUSE TO BE DEMOD,I HAD TO CLEAN ALL THE CONTENTS THOUGH,THERE MAY BE SOME THAT ARE RARE BUT I DONT KNOW,THERE ARE SOME OUT HERE WHO SPECIALIZE IN FOOD JARS,THEY CAN HELP YOU MORE THAN I...HH

LC

Reaction score
I have a bunch of them I am getting ready to sell as well . You can get an idea of their value on eBay . I have been on there looking to try and figure on pricing them for when I have my sale . Some of them do pretty well surprisingly as a single auction and then you will see an auction where a person has three of them for one money and they bring far less then what a person wants for one . I would say yours is a common as well , I have quite a few of them . They are out there and are not at all hard to find . They do have some age though . I have enjoyed having the various style Ball jars sitting here and there over the years as well as other jars of different makes . I am going through twenty five milk crates of bottles right now . Many of them are Ball jars . As for me , I have collected for a good thirty years or more . Yes , I want to know what something I have is worth for when a time comes that I may want to get rid of some . But my greatest love is the task of collecting , doesn't matter what the bottle is worth if you are actually a collector . I have bottles that are worth a good bit of money , and I have bottles worth just a buck or two . I enjoy them all regardless of their value . Good luck with future finds .

sunrunner

Reaction score
your jar looks different then most balls I've seen . the threaded lip has a wired part at the shoulder . you may look around to see if it's very common . I don't think it is.

bottlerocket

Reaction score
Yes runner, I have noticed looking at other 1923-1933 Ball Perfect Mason jars of this size, there seems to be 2 neck/shoulder styles. Others seem shorter than mine. Maybe some jar experts can shine some light on this.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well i helped my Mom do a lot of canning as a kid. I have a lot of jars - but I am only interested in hand blown - blowpipe glass. If there are vertical seams on the threaded finish, that tells us it was made on an ABM. RED Matthews

coreya

Reaction score
The jar is a number 277 in the red book, that being said the neck is an odd one but not unusual to find variations like this in that series of jars. Ball corp was gobbling up other glass companies and reusing any and all molds they could get to work. I would suggest posting it over at http://balljarcollectorscommunitycenter.yuku.com/ in the showroom floor section, perhaps some of the long time collectors will give more info. Also post a pic of the base so we can see what machine made it.

bottlerocket

Reaction score
Thanks Corey's, here is the base.

Attachments

• 4a1829c391e548689e468a9fa33326b7.jpg
    4a1829c391e548689e468a9fa33326b7.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 64

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads