My first privy dig.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

craigc90

Reaction score
I have been digging dumps for a couple years. Finaly got permission to dig a privy. I walked around the house and started probing with my homemade probe and very first spot I tried the probe sank to China. 2 feet hit bricks 3 feet 1 clear BIM bottle then clay cap and 3.5 feet wood lined privy talk about beginners luck.[:D] I have 1 corner and half of the 2 sides cleaned out tomorrow I am going to hit it early. Just in the clay cap and first 6-8 inches of pay dirt I found about 10 embossed keepers and a bucket full of unembossed bottles all 1870's and 80's and have not made it 4 feet yet. wish me luck I cant sleep.I will post some pics when I am done.

Bottleman

Reaction score
Craigc90, that is so awesome that you are digging your first privy. Once you dig one you are hooked and will forget about the same old dumps you are digging for a while. Privies are defiantly the best place to find quality bottles and I find are much more fun than dumps. GOOD LUCK MAN!!!

~~Tom

Caretaker maine

Reaction score
Someone got bit by the bug, Craig, post those pics, we love it when a brother hit a nice one, hope you dig some great ones and they're whole [;)], I know there there,

Jim

Reaction score
Good luck, Craig. I hope there are some real beauties waiting for you below! Jim

Bottleman

Reaction score
Jim, i sent you an e-mail last night and i was wondering if you got it. If not, i can send it again.

~~Tom

NEVER MIND> i just checked my mail and saw that you replied.

craigc90

Reaction score
Well I am calmed down now. I went back out today to finish my first privy. It rained all night[:mad:] jumped in the hole with hip waders on and finished digging the whole thing in the rain. Only found 2 more decent keepers and a 5 gallon bucket of unembossed bottles I cant get over almost evrything was whole. Very little broken stuff.I was expecting a bunch more today but the pit ended up being only about 5 feet deep total. After backfilling the pit I think I found another privy closer to the house. The original front part of the house is 1830's and then a big addition on back around 1870's wich is what most of the stuff I dug was. I think when they added on they moved the privy back so maybe next week I can get into some pontils I have 2 more places lined up and its an early little town. the pics are in the next post.

craigc90

Reaction score
This is some of the stuff I ended up with after me and my brother split it up.
3 local hard to get druggest in 3 sizes W.T.Sharp&Co.Cadiz Ohio,
A.S. Hinds Portland Me,Porters Cure Of PainClev.d. Ohio,Staffords Ink, Pumpkinseed flask,J.T.TengelsenBrokklyn NY,Lydia E Pinkhams Vegtable Compound,nice unembossed tappered lip flask, CongerBros. Pharmicists Laurel Ave St. Paul Minn,

Ay73476.jpg

Attachments

• Ay73476.jpg
    Ay73476.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 55

craigc90

Reaction score
Thes came out of the pit also. I have never seen a green utility bottle befor are they common? I dug 2 and they are both damaged I like the 7 up green. The bottle next to it I think is an early shoe polish I cant get it open but it has a chrome looking domed cap on it.

Db86449.jpg

Attachments

• Db86449.jpg
    Db86449.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 60

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Craig, Nice finds on your first privy! I believe your 7 up green bottle is a berry bottle. The one next to it looks like a salt or pepper shaker, but I don't see any holes in the top? Kelley

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday