my sad missed digging opportunities story. cautionary tale

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

margclearlake

Reaction score
does anyone use Sanborn maps? they usually have the privy drawn in.

Also, check for privies where Lilac trees are planted. Those wacky Victorians thought it helped with the stench.

Reactions: Len

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Hey Marg!

Your parents didn't want to lose their good luck digging charm so they tied you to that tree. I don't believe I've ever heard of but a few with such good fortune in finding things like you. ...Needless to say, you're a very good story teller too. "Of all the bottle clubs in all the world" I'm glad you walked into this one.;) --CT Len

margclearlake

Reaction score
No, they hated me. they tied me to a tree so I wouldnt fall down a mine shaft and they would have to explain my disappearance to the authorities.

A friend of theirs dug a very thin glass womans hand bottle. they claimed it was for champagne but it seems more perfume to me. Anyone ever heard of something like that?

I went to the Sanborn maps and found the privy on my house. also found out alot about my house and the stuff that was built on and then removed. really interesting. and might have given me a lead on the cistern.

went out and tinked, also tinked my neighbors privy. probed a brick, a tree root and a really soft big hole where my privy was. didnt feel any glass. hope it wasnt dipped. got to dig to see!

we are new here and there are already large groups gathering on porches that think i am crazy for walking my cats on leashes, so they are really going to enjoy the pit. I put my back into my work.

margclearlake

Reaction score
a new project just came to me, going to approach the history or social studies teacher here in town and guide her through the Sanborn maps, let the kids see where various businesses were and give them some town pride. maybe even a walking tour of town. get the little minds stimulated. They had them out there picking dandelions on friday to which one boy screamed the whole time, CHILD FORCED LABOR!

margclearlake

Reaction score
the neighbor in back privy was back to back with mine so I think I will be doing me a little slant digging.

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Hello Margclearlake,

I think the Sanborn maps are excellent resource for privy digging especially. I love the way you stick to your guns and continue digging in suburbia where there are more neck benders. ...I believe a veteran Social Studies teacher whose worth his salt would love your suggestion of passing local history, geographic skills, etc. onto the kids. I took a couple of courses, set up an archaeology class, and the phone started ringing. --We opened a one room museum at the school for artifact display of the finds too. "Who would have thunk it?" Maybe I was lucky, but some things are possible. ...Like the unselfish way you think. (Just remember to get those permission slips.);) --CT Len, OG Educator Ret.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp