Mystified by numbers on bottom!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Alexis143

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!
(sooo excited-found about 15-20 early 1900's bottles within about 2-3 hours! WOO!)
Anyways-
I am mystified by these little numbers on the bottom of my bottle.
It's amber in color- not yellow or greenish, regular ol'amber, looks like a blown-in-mold maybe?? (no signs of a seam on the lip) with an applied band. On the bottom, it's stamped 2903. What in the world is 2903??
Around this particular bottle I have found several small medicine/apothecary bottles, a small (probably 1930's) Listerine bottle, a pretty durn small "Welch's Junior" bottle, 3 Liquor bottles (stamped "do not reuse under penalty of law.." or whatever), a flask with lead screw top, among TONS of other cool bottles.

My main question is, what is 2903?????!!!
No other markings, just 2903.

This bottle is wierd because it's got side seams, but it also looks like a three part mold- the horizontal rings are probably just decoration or from where the label was at one time???
Can you tell I'm a newbie?!!
Any help would be appreciated, I can take some pics but just don't feel like it right now....I'm up to my eyeballs in bottles to clean and research!!! *yippie*

Thanks Guys!!!

BottleArchaeologist

Reaction score
Hi Alexis,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your finds. When you get the time post some pics.....we all love to see pics. :eek:)

As for 2903????? Probably nothing more than a batch number. Makers didn't usually put the actual dates on the bases of the bottles (Owen's sometimes did starting in about the late 30's) but sometimes they are in code.

More often than not the numbers you see will be Factory code numbers, batch or control numbers.

BA

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter