National Bottle Museum

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello amblypygi; I had the good fortune of visiting that museum a few years ago. My question is: Did you happen to get a picture of a case on the right hand side of the entrance door, that had a vertical case that was in front of some shelves that had some early glass making tools in it? This cabinet had a unique snap case that I decided was a shoulder holding snap case for the Saratoga type Mineral Water Bottles. My camera went bad and I lost the pictures I had taken. I don't know if I will get back over there but I sure would like to get a picture of that tool. RED Matthews

amblypygi

Reaction score
Hi Red,

I know what display you mean but I didn't get a picture of it. I very quickly got into talking with the two people who were running the show (Jan and Greg) and after that neglected to take any more pictures. Jan gave me a tour of the upstairs that was closed at the time, where they had an amazing collection of mineral water bottles and some other glass objects including a collection of paperweights that were some of the coolest things I've ever seen.

In hindsight I regret forgetting to take more pictures, especially of the wall-o-sodas, because they would be a useful reference. Oh well, I'll have to go back. They said that they do a bottle show there and if I make it to that I'll get a picture of that tool for you.

Sean

deepbluedigger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: amblypygi

ORIGINAL: VirginiaDigger

What was the bottle in pic #4 top shelf middle(The one that looks like a bong) used for?

Good question, I have no idea. Maybe it was a bong [:)]

B30B725E1AD54DFD945B212CF03AB345.jpg

It's a Spanish or Portuguese style wine decanter / pourer.

willong

Reaction score
Regarding statement: "It's a Spanish or Portuguese style wine decanter / pourer. "

True--Anthony Boudain's show "No Reservations" recently featured one in an episode. Party participants displayed their drinking skills by holding the pourer above their heads and sipping wine flowing directly from the decanter (I forget the local name for the vessel) without touching their lips to the glass. Apparently some prestige attached to those who could form and down the longest fountain. Seems somewhat akin to judging how much an Arab honors his guest by noticing how high above the cup he holds the pot when pouring his guest a drink of coffee. The decanter featured on the program was clear glass, however--not cobalt blue.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960