NE CT - follow shard trail to TOC dump + german doll head :)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

downstate

Reaction score
Hi all,

Found 2 TOC dumps in my town this way, one was already frozen & under shade all day so no digging until spring - the other was closer to the water and the soil was still soft.

Enjoy the photos!

So to start I follow the main river and follow streams that join up to it, looking for shards in the adjoining streams, basically then follow the stream until I find where the shards are coming from.

River to the right, stream to the left.

6517467269_ca385a7e90_b.jpg

One of the shards I found, pulled out the cellphone and looked at Google Maps to see how far the stream went and if I could even walk the whole thing, lots of posted private property around :( but I was in luck as the stream hugs some town owned land.

6517467461_de56d11ed1_b.jpg

About 15 minutes later I found the dump, was looking at shards in the stream then looked up and saw this poking out of the bank.

6517467713_b67672f8f5_b.jpg

Coal all over the bank being pulled up by the trees.

6517467931_c9b8f573ff_b.jpg

I dug all around two trees, lots of broken porcelain dishes, random shards & pottery - I did find a top to some pottery but I forgot to take a photo.
Seems like the trees have brought the dump to the surface as all the bottles I found so far have only been about 4" deep at the most, a few were poking out of the soil and one (amber slick) was stuck in the roots...

6517468637_ec40727920_b.jpg

Took about 30 minutes to get out too - i'll list the bottles found below and also a neat porcelain doll head which was also only about 3" underground.

6517467025_72e128c582_b.jpg

LOVE the air bubble swirls in the top of this amber slick, ive only been digging about 2 months so this "common" is still really cool to me!

6517468017_c4c21659b6_b.jpg

6517468247_83febd5d4d_b.jpg

6517468131_b3d2125dfe_b.jpg

6517466897_7bb1c702e4_b.jpg

WARNING! sorta weird looking doll head below - don't want to scare anyone LOL.

|
|
|
|

6517466757_8c782bbe5c_b.jpg

6517467129_bf0446194e_b.jpg

-------------------
CITRATE
OF
MAGNESIA
W.T.C.O 3 USA
-------------------
AYER'S
PECTORAL
CHERRY
LOWELL MASS.U.S.A
MP 12
-------------------
HOOPLE'S
-------------------
CHAS H FLETCHER'S
CASTORIA
S.74, S.35, S.28 (dug three of them all different numbers of base of bottle)
-------------------
CARBONA
CARBONA PRODUCTS CO.
CARBONA
-------------------
(doll head info)
MADE IN GERMANY
ARMAND MARSEILLE
390N
DRGM 246
A5M
-------------------

Thanks for looking! I'll head back and do some more digging soon :)

beendiggin

Reaction score
Hi Mike...good job hunting that area down and that is a promising spot. TOC dumps are always great to dig. You might find more...if you dig deeper.

downstate

Reaction score
Paul I will defiantly dig a bit deeper, did not have a shovel with me only my scratch tool and small plastic garden shovel, which I ended up losing today in my cross fill lol. I'm just hesitant on using a shovel as im sure someone has dug right into and broken some good glass, but I will try to dig around the perimeter and see what I can come up with. :)

lexdigger

Reaction score
Don't worry about breaking bottles with a shovel. For one... you can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs. Second of all, if you pull it out and it's Broken... it was most likely Already broken.

You will dig TEN TIMES the bottles... not to mention all the other stuff that could be in there. You may break a few here and there but after a while you will get the feel for it. I dig with my Foot and can FEEL when I'm on a bottle. You actually have LESS chance of damaging good glass with a shovel than you do with a hand trowel or other smaller digging tools. Scratches from METAL prongs will do as much damage as any shovel ever thought about.

GET AFTER EM!!!

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Mike,

Welcome to the A-BN, and thanks for the Well photographed river excursion. Nice photos, sir.

6517467025_72e128c582_b.jpg

I think your Hoople's may be William Howard Hoople

WH_Hoople.jpg
or his dad, or the both of them.

"In April 1862 William G. Hoople migrated to New York City,[10] in the same month as the second marriage of his father.[11] After three years of advanced education in a New York academy financed by his uncle,[12] in 1865 W.G. entered the firm of his uncle, William Henry Hoople (born 1805 in Ontario, Canada; died June 17, 1895 in Hastings-on-Hudson, New York, age 89),[13] a widower who was also a prosperous businessman,[14] whose son, William H. Hoople, Jr., had refused to enter the family business.[15] WH Hoople had founded Van Nostrand & Hoople in 1832 with John Van Nostrand[16] at 38 Ferry Street,[17] near the corner with Cliff Street,[18] in an area of lower Manhattan known as "The Swamp",[19] the fetid southeastern blocks of the city centred on Jacob and Ferry Streets just east of City Hall, that had been "the (stinking) locus of the tanning and leather currying industry" since the late 1690s.[20] This firm sold tanning materials and dyes.[21]

After two years working for his uncle in a clerical position,[15] W.G. Hoople returned to Canada to marry Agnes at the Long Sault (now South Stormont), Ontario on June 26, 1867.[22] Soon after William Howard Hoople's birth in August 1868, the family moved from Herkimer to New York city. W.G. Hoople acquired US citizenship on July 27, 1869, at which time the family resided at 117 2nd Avenue (at the corner with Seventh Street) in what was then in the Little Germany section of the Lower East Side of New York City.[23][24] By 1870 the family had relocated to Jamaica, Queens, where WG Hoople lived with his wife; his widowed mother-in-law, Sarah Blackburn; and his son, William Howard Hoople; and a servant...

After the retirement of his uncle in 1870, and after five years "learning the ropes", W.G. Hoople became a partner and managed Van Nostrand & Hoople, until his uncle's death on 17 June 1895.[29] As a reward for his stewardship, W.G. Hoople received a sizable inheritance of $55,000 in real estate from his uncle.[30] The success of his various business enterprises resulted in William G. Hoople becoming a multi-millionaire. In 1870 Hoople, in partnership with Edward Everett Androvette, established Hoople & Androvette, dealers in tanning materials and dyes, at 250 Front Street, New York city, a five-story building that they purchased in September 1902.[31] Also in 1870 W.G. Hoople and Loring Andrew Robertson (born November 12, 1828 in Windham, New York; died October 9, 1890 in New York) formed Robertson & Hoople,[32] which traded as a leather merchant. On January 3, 1884 W.G. Hoople and Robertson incorporated the New York Leather Belting Company which manufactured oak-tanned leather belting, waterproof leather halting, and electric belts at its factory at the corner of South Eleventh Street and Kent Avenue, Brooklyn.[33] Additionally, W.G. Hoople had established Hoople & Nichols, in partnership with William S. Nichols (born February 1845 in Rhode Island; died September 25, 1892),[34] whose son, Albert I. Nichols, later became his partner in the firm, and also married his youngest daughter, Bessie.[35] This firm imported shellac,[36] but later expanded to become a hardware store, selling brushes.[37] WG Hoople was also involved in real estate investments. In September 1893 WG Hoople purchased four multi-story buildings at Peck Slip and Pearl Street, Manhattan that were under foreclosure,[38] while in August 1897 he sold a four-story brownstone-front building near the infamous Five Points at 32 Great Jones Street for $27,000,[39] and in 1899 he sold the building that housed his offices at 38 Ferry Street, New York, to philanthropist businessman Charles Adolph Schieren (born February 28, 1842 in Germany; died March 15, 1915), the penultimate mayor of Brooklyn (1894–1895).[40] WG Hoople was also a director of the Hide and Leather Bank that had been established on June 15, 1891 and was headquartered in a ten-story building at 88-90 Gold Street.[41] By 1909 WG Hoople was also a member of the New York Drug Trade Club." From.

atyd.jpg

madpaddla

Reaction score
Hello Mike,

Welcome to the forum. Bunch of nice folks here and know a lot of info. More than I. Regarding the river you can kayak down it b/c although some people own the land they dont own the water. So you are able to kayak down stream and find many more sites. About waiting till the spring, in whole that is a good idea. But if you want to dig now you can. Grab a large rock and keep tossing it on the ground. Should be able to open a hole pretty quick. Good luck with your digs. Hope you dig one of those Pontiled Sodas. Good luck

tigue710

Reaction score
a large rock? who told you that? lol... Follow them rivers, folks in Connecticut seemed to have loved dumping in them

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles