Neat Sad Story

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

texasdigger

Reaction score
There are some really nice stories in this thread guys. Thanks for sharing. It is nice to see that people are still capable of selfless generosity. In my bottle digging and collceting career I have yet to experience any of this. All of the people I have run into have had a castoria or prices extracts, and thought I was going to pay them big bucks for them. When I explained value, age, rarity and color they had already tuned me out. It seems like as soon as someone thinks something old has value that is all they want to hear. When I ask for permission to dig somewhere value is something I never mention. As soon as they realise some bottles are truly valuble they decide "we are going to dig that stuff up". I am always polite, and willing to share bottles with em. But some nuts can be very hard to crack.

Great stories guys! Have an awesome friday. Man am I glad the weekend is alomost here. It has been one hot hot work week down here in Tejas.

Brad

capsoda

Reaction score
I have recieved many bottles free from forum members who sent them for various reasons. To many to name and don't know if they would want to be named. You can be assured that I remember exactly who sent what and when I am showing my bottles of to folks I always tell them which friend sent what. Some times they notice them befor I can tell them anything about them. Most of my bottles are grouped, local sodas, local meds, ACLs, Whiskeys ect.... and the mixed up group is called my "bottle friends collection".

There are some great folks on this forum!!! [:)]

deer4x4

Reaction score
who you talken bout
this was a nice post and strange things do happen the most i have found out is how diffrent people of the bottle world are my sense has been i dont want to take it to the grave and who better but a person that appreciates the meaning of a gift and bottle also it by far feels great to make some people smile in life even after life is gone there is always the memories of it
you all have a good day hey lobeycat here's a pic for ya i was gettin robbed
bob

A0C3362652EA42B2A52FCBFAA8813C43.jpg

Attachments

• A0C3362652EA42B2A52FCBFAA8813C43.jpg
    A0C3362652EA42B2A52FCBFAA8813C43.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 76

glass man

Reaction score
JUST HAPPENED TO RUN UP ON THIS STORY AGAIN! IT IS A CLASSIC!

MAN WE NEED MANY MORE STORIES LIKE THIS! JAMIE

Penn Digger

Reaction score
Jamie,

Since you brought this old post up I will do a brief follow up. Ernie's family later invited Joe (the Crow) and I to be some of the first to take a look at some of Ernie's bottles they wanted to part with. The rumor of thousands of bottles was definately true. Rooms full of bottles!!!!!! One room was packed full of boxes with tiny dividers in them for small meds, boxes and boxes of milks, whiskeys...and many blobs...mostly Buffalo, NY stuff. Another room was packed full of (buckets stacked upon buckets) 5 gallon buckets full of dirty bottles, many never even washed. It was like he brought buckets of bottles home from digging and just kept filling up the room. A lot of stoneware beers.

Joe and I did our best to look through as many as we could. It took several visits. There were some nice ones there, out of my honest price range. He went to a lot of shows over the years and sold bottles, so I couldn't believe he still had this many left when he passed away!!!

Joe picked up some meds and I was HAPPY to pick up about 40 to 50 mainly local bottles, some new variants and some I didn't even have or know existed. The family was very generous with pricing. Thanks!

Thanks again Ernie for your love of bottles, they still live on! R I P. In fact he will be credited in an upcoming local bottle and brewery book that's in the works. The Clover Leaf Dairy bottle will be in it.

PD

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey everyone. What a great thread! I'm sorry to hear about Ernie's passing, but it was really nice of him to give you the milk.

Okay, here's a similar (though less dramatic example) of a friend giving me a bottle. My diving buddy Jim and I met in the off season (ie. winter) to share dive stories and compare a box of our favorite bottles. He pulled out a rare quart hutch. I did not yet have any quart hutches from my state and this was a good one. I was awed by it and told him how great it was. He said "Take it. If you like it that much it's yours." Wow. What a great friend. I ended up giving him a bunch of stuff back but it's a good feeling to have friends that are that nice. (Thanks again Jimmy if you see this!)

I always try to pass along a bottle or two to anyone interested in what we are doing at the launches. If I meet someone with the last name of Miller (for example), I'll give them an example . . .

glass man

Reaction score
THANKS TOM SO MUCH FOR THE UPDATE! SOUNDS LIKE HE JUST ENJOYED THE DIGGING OF OLD BOTTLES! I WAS SO GLAD TO SEE THIS AGAIN LAST NIGHT IT PICKED ME UP!

THANKS FOR THE ADD ON BOB!

THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT HAVE EVER GIVEN ME ANY BOTTLES ARE RIGHT HERE ON THIS FORUM!![&:] [OOPS AND ASHLIE AND DEAN MY BROTHER IN LAW![:)]] JAMIE

Just Dig it

Reaction score
Speaks numbers for you penn digger that he would make that one of his dying wishes..im sorry you guys lost a friend Nice of you to help them sort through some of the stuff..Good folks over there in Bradford =) doing good things for each other..who could ask for more?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960