Neat Sad Story

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

milkglassbottles

Reaction score
I am moved by the aforementioned stories and I would like to share the following with everyone. Back in the 80's I met a man through a business contact who introduced me to bottles. Every time I went to his home I would head straight to the Baker's rack and look at his out of category bottles, he collected colored pontiled medicines.

One bottle that always fascinated me was an early 1800's huge black glass seal bottle with a 3" sand chip pontil. One evening as I was about to leave he walked over to the rack and gestured for me to take the bottle, I said "I know it's a great bottle, I look at it every time I am here". Again gesturing for me to take it from him, while telling me to "take it", I humored him and took it very carefully in my hands. As I was about to give it back he said "Keep it, I want you to have it, you appreciate bottles".

I will cherish that seal bottle until the day I pass. I lost my friend this past Thanksgiving, his name was Stephen L. Gardner.

Bottle people are very special in their own way. Again, rest in peace my friend.

Stardust

Reaction score
What a heartfelt post. The first story had me in tears as I'm in the giving stage of my life cleaning out making life simple and finding out who wants what and giving it to them. Giving to families in need and donating to the hospital as I have a lot of childrens stuff and they give them to kids who are sick and going through a rough time. I have stuff for everyone.

Now my bottles I don't have that many, but what I do have most of the ones I hold close to my heart came from the kindness of members here. Members who sent stars bottles, madonas, flasks, figurals, hand etched stardust flasks, medicines, perfumes, marbles, poisions, baby milk, milks, tiny bottles and china cup and saucer for my grand babies to have their planted dig.

When my grand babies come back to visit the first place they run is to my garden and start digging like crazy. They think bottles grow like potatoes and one replants them thinking they will change size, color or multiply. While the other little one digs them up. All those little bottles are proudly displayed in their home and it make me smile : ). We had our dig, not the way I really wanted but we had it. Things are different these days I'm just happy, happy, happy!

Thanks everyone, you know who you all are and one day all the other bottles will be there's also.

I understand what Ernie did as I'm doing that with things now and my room mate friends who are dying are giving me things because they know they won't be here much longer. Another reason this post hit me hard.

We should all do what Ernie did when we know someone really loves something try to give to them when we are alive so you know they get it. If not put it in a bag with their name on it and set it aside.

GREAT POST!

CWBookAuthor

Reaction score
I am very sorry to hear of Ernie's demise. I knew him when I began collecting bottles. I cvan't remember how we hooked up (poor memory now), but a friend and I stopped at Ernie's house while on the way from Arlington, Va., on the way to dig in Jamestown, N.Y. I have many memories of digging in Jamestown, but I remember Ernie very well. I bought some interesting bottles from him and greeted him at a bottle show. He was a friend and could make anyone laugh! I can no longer dig as I'm now restricted to a wheelchair, but the memories are still there. Thanks to Ernie, I still remember the good times.

God bless you, Ernie!

Mike Russell

texasdigger

Reaction score
This a great thread. We have a very well known collector, digger and bottle book author that lives in my area. Every time I go out digging I call him to tell keep him up on the score. He has gotten too old to dig now, but he sure misses it all the time. I am still young, and take it for granted. Being a friend to him makes me appreciate what I am still able to do. The last time we dug a super rare Texas bottle came out broken. I called to tell him about it, and he was just as heart broke as the rest of us. My digging season will start it in a week or so, and i have decided that we are going to bring him out with us. He will not be able to dig, but he sure can give the first wipe to any keepers we find.

I love this hobby more than any I have ever had. It ties together all of my favorite things. History, beauty, craftsmanship, research, hard work and most of all friends. IT is very hard for us to find true friends in this world. I have made more because of bottle digging than anything I have ever done.

When I see someone is new to bottles or just getting into the hobby I usually give them a few bottles to help nurse their passion along. I especially love giving bottles to kids. IT really makes their day if they are interested in bottles.

Brad

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
ORIGINAL: CWBookAuthor

I am very sorry to hear of Ernie's demise. I knew him when I began collecting bottles. I cvan't remember how we hooked up (poor memory now), but a friend and I stopped at Ernie's house while on the way from Arlington, Va., on the way to dig in Jamestown, N.Y. I have many memories of digging in Jamestown, but I remember Ernie very well. I bought some interesting bottles from him and greeted him at a bottle show. He was a friend and could make anyone laugh! I can no longer dig as I'm now restricted to a wheelchair, but the memories are still there. Thanks to Ernie, I still remember the good times.

God bless you, Ernie!

Mike Russell

Mike,...That's very cool that you knew Ernie Hurd....I won't pretend I knew him well, as he was a bottle digger a generation before I was...I've only been doing this since the 70's and knew of him and a group of his peers,....another locally famous digger was Bud Lee,...him I knew better,....He has also passed on, but his daughter gave me two trailerloads of his "leftbehind" bottles over the last couple of years.....You mentioned digging in Jamestown NY w/ Ernie?....Did you happen to know Chuck and Cookie Boehler?...They were hardcore diggers from Frewsburg NY near Jamestown....Chuck had some great bottles!....They all did....R.I.P. Ernie, Bud and Chuck.... (and Cookie) [:eek:] Joe

CWBookAuthor

Reaction score
Yes, I knew the Boehlers. I met them while digging up in Jamestown. The digger that I went to visit many, many times was John Dobmeier who took us to more than just the main Jamestown dump. The last time I heard from John was sometime in 1985, although I never heard ftom him again. I wish I could find out what became of him. He had a wife named Angel. who my wife and I would love to know what became of her.

Mike

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960