Need Advice! (Posted again)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Poeticallyinsane

Reaction score
I was recently given the location of a ravine that is said to be FULL of old bottles. The man who told me this was kind enough to let my on his property to remove 50 something bottles earlier this week. He said the way to get there was a dirt road that was kind of hard to spot unless you were looking for it and he is right. I went to check it out today and found two dirt roads but the thing is, is there are signs just outside a barbed wire fence that says cars arent allowed to drive down the roads because it is state property. I noticed several paths in the area so people do walk in there sometimes. I dont want to get in trouble for digging without permission. Who do I ask for permission? Is there anyone to ask? I wont go in and butcher the ground because I mainly use a small hand shovel and a small rake. I need help! I really want to go check this place out this weekend while my mom is able to baby sit for me. I'm so excited. I'd go today while my son is at school except I dont like the idea of leaving my car along some road far from the general public while I wander around a huge ditch, lol. It's too far to walk to from my house. UGH! Well, if anyone knows what I can do then please help! Please please please!

Poeticallyinsane

Reaction score
How is it confusing? I figured more people would see it on this part of the website because when ever I'm on the other there doesnt seem to be anyone else viewing the forum and more people do seem to read what's in the digging and finding forum. Made sense to me, I didnt think it would confuse anyone. Sorry.

rlo

Reaction score
I guess pretty much everything is confusing at our old age. just gettin outta bed is confusing enough!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I guess pretty much everything is confusing at our old age. just gettin outta bed is confusing enough!
Now I'm confused, are we old or getting out of bed? Please explain yourself.

mikmis

Reaction score
hi krystal ,
if its posted state property it's illegal to dig .if just the road is state property and is access to a park or something you need to find out who owns the property on the sides and ask them .im sure there are plenty of places to dig around there don't get your self in trouble as tempting as it may be its not worth it .
if you realy can't resist get ahold of either the city or the national forest service down there and see if they have any special use permits that would allow you to dig. i tryed it once a long time ago and i think i almost had them talked into it but i gave up to soon .[:)]

sunrunner

Reaction score
hi krystal : im a raider from wayback, if you can get there with a bicyle then thats the best way to get in with out beeing detected. now ,tying to get permisstion,for state property,most of the time will get you nowere,and will just sterup a lot of terouble,beleve me. i once triced to get permision to dig thes 1830s homested,that was in a state park,useing my archaeolgy skills ( grid systome and all), and they gave me the thued dagree. i dont incuerg peopel to brake the law,bur u are not hurting anytheing by looking for a few old bottles.....sinra

JGUIS

Reaction score
Here's the real way around it, legally, from the mouth of a state worker. Taking plants, roots, trees, rocks, minerals, artifacts, fungi, protected animals, is forbidden on state property. Lack of funding in most state park areas cuts from the bottom, trash collection is in that neighborhood. If you're actively picking up trash on state property, to be removed for proper disposal, you're ok. If you're actively caught defacing or destroying state property in the process, you're not. So, if you're picking milk bottles out of a 30s dump on state property, you'd better be hauling at least a bag full of trash with you to the car. 9 times out of 10, if you're getting caught/questioned, it will be at your vehicle. As far as leaving it somewhere, I've done it all over the US with no problems. Granted, I'm not stopping in Compton to go hiking, but rural areas are safer than alot of people think. I geocache and hunt several things in the woods, so I'm always pulling off the road and trudging off through the woods. Most state workers don't pay much attention to that stuff, but like I said, you should be doing something that helps you both, and not just you.

mikmis

Reaction score
good points josh shes in an area where there are alot of freindly people too .theres alot of old ranchers,hunters,fishermen and mostly just the outdoors type that would be realy interested in what your doing.you just need to get to know some people that have been there a long time and know where the good spots are .

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi krystal, i go digging a lot and leave my jeep park along the road all the time. havn't had any problems so far. most maps will show park land, that might help you. it is worth exploring, when you get the feel of the area you will be more comfortable. good luck, rhona

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorginaAc