NEED Copper Wire -Insulated or Stripped!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bamabottles

Reaction score
I know this is a strange post to some, but I take copper wire and cut it into small pieces to use in cleaning bottles in a tumbler. My local scrap yard that used to sell me whatever I needed (for a premium) has stopped selling to individuals. I am in need of 12 gauge and 10 gauge wire and I will pay a premium over the daily price of my local scrapyard. I will buy insulated or burned for the same price per pound, but I prefer stripped and that brings the highest price at the scrapyard too. Looking for pieces that are at least 10 inches to a foot long. Really need 12 ga, but will also buy 10 ga. Would like to buy at least 20 to 25 pounds to make the shipping worthwhile in a flat rate box. Believe it or not, SHIPPING CAN BE PRETTY REASONABLE if you use a medium flat rate box and pack it full, so I am posting this after having poor luck with an ad in Craigslist. I would love to find a supplier that could provide me with some every few months, but will be happy with a one time purchase as well. Contact me for details on pricing if you have any copper.

LC

Reaction score
Have you talked to your local electricians in your area about buying their scrap from wiring jobs ? You may come up empty but then too if you get hold of an electrician or company that does a lot of wiring , it might pay off .

hunting262

Reaction score
I might be able to get some from my dad which is an electrician I'll be back with an aswer in a bit.[:D]

andy volkerts

Reaction score
You can get clean, bare, solid, number 12 copper ground wire at home depot for 24 cents a foot, and ya dont have to pay shipping, ifn ya dont have a home depot then lowes is comparable, there has to be one or the other close to ya............

bamabottles

Reaction score
Answers to the questions above in order...

Did call several electricians and one was supposed to get back with me and didn't. Offered to pay a premium over scrap yard prices, so it is puzzling to me. Was hoping someone on here was in the demolition or electrical business....

I like 10 and 12 Ga wire or some combination of the two in my canisters. 14 ga just takes longer to cut a pound than 12 and the 12 ga works fine for all my uses.

5 pieces of wire won't cut it... I need POUNDS of wire. I pay based on a premium above what the local scrapyard pays.

24 cents a foot calculates to about $12 a pound for the wire alone. I can get it already cut into pellets from the jar doctor for $8.50 a pound, so I cannot afford to buy new wire.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Instead of going through all that check all of this out..... http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_kw=shot+copper Something in here should suit your needs.. there was free shipping on a good portion of the items I thumbed through.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I think most areas require 12ga in kitchens and maybe bathrooms. If you go scrounging for scraps, check them first.
Well, maybe the dumpster first and them second. [:)]

deacon_frost

Reaction score
just currious what your local scrap yard was selling it for per pound? im in the process of stripping a bunch of copper (perks of being an electrician) but dont know how much 12 i have, i know alot of it is 14

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles