Need good Zoom camera/pics...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

VA is for Diggers

Reaction score
Hi, I would like to sell a few bottles on auction sites, and just bought the lighted box sets that claim you take professional pictures. So far, my camera is taking better pictures outside with natural sunlight than in this box. The zoom or macro button seems to always give me hazy, undefined pics. If anyone has any suggestions or camera that takes good detailed close-up pics, let me know.

Road Dog

Reaction score
I rarely use the macro when shooting bottle pics. Unless I'm shooting pontils, lips or pot stones. What I use for flash and lighting depends on the bottles detail and color. The best detail pic may not be your best accurate color pic. Depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Of course I'm far from an expert.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey VA,
While I think natural light is often the best, I have had decent luck with a background light and then force your camera to flash. My camera also does what your does. I can't focus on close objects, so I back away and then zoom it (or just crop it later). My camera has a little light that turns green when its focused - so, I try to watch for that as well. I suppose as long as you're digital, you can just try to take a million pics. Some of them have to turn out. The trick is figuring out which turned ouot the best and then repeating that strategy.

VA is for Diggers

Reaction score
Good point bbb, I noticed that the flash can enhance the picture, but the shadows are still a nuisance; I guess natural (light) is the best was to go; I need to wait for a day w/o snow in the forcast!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I've tried numerous indoor methods of lighting but so far nothing has come close to natural sunlight for getting the true color of the bottles. I'm no photographic expert though. Its a pain in the butt hauling bottles outside in the cold.

Lordbud

Reaction score
So far, my camera is taking better pictures outside with natural sunlight than in this box.

I always always take my pictures in overcast morning light. I use my son's old Guitar Hero box as a safe place set the bottles and the white cardboard makes a fine background. I have used the digital macro setting but only for small bottles and/or extreme close-ups. These jpgs turn out so large that they have to be downsized to 30 - 35 % to fit posting size on the forum. In digital macro you might need to take a couple-three "throw away" pics to get the lens to adjust...

kinnunen6

Reaction score
Im no expert by any means, but I used a slow shutter speed, low light, a tripod, and a remote to take pics inside. seemed to work pretty good.... ?

9D1062F165B548458741FDC3AE6DCE22.jpg

Attachments

• 9D1062F165B548458741FDC3AE6DCE22.jpg
    9D1062F165B548458741FDC3AE6DCE22.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 66

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member