Need help dating a "Double Cola" bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Some of us call a highly faded ACL--often when you see little to no color from the label left, but still the signs of one are legible in certain light/angles-- a "Ghost ACL" or "Ghost label." It's a neat piece to dig up, regardless of what some might think. I recall, once, as I was digging fence posts, I slammed the post-hole digger down into the ground and heard a crunch. I stopped, slipped my hand in, and was distraught to pull out what was a local milk bottle buried about 3 feet down--firstly, it's the deepest bottle I've dug in my yard; secondly, I've dug all over there (with a hand shovel for a pond and plants--meaning more carefully) before and never found anything near intact. It would also have been 1940s. Lol. This is the first bottle you've found?
Could you tell us what the back said--all the ACLs I've come across have something on the back, usually on the body but sometimes only on the neck.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Wow you are right that is one great bottle Spirit Bear! did you see what the back reads? on the first post.I wish I had a property that was dig-able. ..too bad about the milk you dug :( MR_Work...said ....'The back of the bottle has very faint writing like the front, and as best as I can read it says: "A real carbonated cola beverage containing the extractive matter of kola nuts and coca leaves (decocainized) blended with natural flavors." Below that, "Double Cola Bottling Co. Nashville, Tenn." At the bottom of the back of the bottle, right above the base, is a tiny raised square.'

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
My apologies-- I read all the posts on here, starting with Mr Work's, but it didn't register in my mind? I feel dumber now. Lol. (No worries, I'm giggling.) My property certainly is diggable, but what you dig up is mostly shattered:I found a 1950s food bottle with complete ACL-- save for where the back, side, and bottom were missing; a 1930s bottle for some sort of alcohol (had a cool mossy green tint to it) that was embossed (WAS, as it's shattered;) and a few pieces to local milks; then, of course, plenty of shattered soda-pops of all sorts of brands--my favorite so far was a Squeeze art-deco (amusingly, I found one part in our side yard, and the other part well out into the woods-- it matched up perfectly in fit and design, so it has to be the same bottle.) I've dug non-glass items in better condition, though, here. I recall one post here where someone dug up some really old bottle that was in great condition-- I think they were in the UK-- whilst gardening. Gotta get an older house that didn't have much access to public disposal sites for trash-- ours was built in 1925, so it is gonna have something somewhere. I think I just took over the thread... Whoops. [:-]

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I am embarrassed. [:mad:][:-][>:][:'(]I should have read the description better instead of trying to look at the pictures. I did just the opposite of what I complain about.I apologize.[:-] I have no idea what most of these emoticons are so I just threw some in. Is one "embarrassed" or "shame"?

Canadacan

Reaction score
It's all good fellows! no need to apologize or feel embarrassed! [;)] truth is I missed some of what was printed myself...and this had me wondering now..how many colas had that statement (decocainized) in the 1940's! [8|] Is that last emoticon I used 'shocked'??? lol...I not sure![:D] but it's supposed to be.

MR_Work

Reaction score
Wow, this is such a popular thread now :) Yes, this is the first bottle I've dug up. I've dug up some other stuff - ancient nails, some rusty bottlecaps, an old tin can lid - but nothing like this. That said, I've only lived here for a year, and it may be worth mentioning that I'm only a tenant on the property. I guess that means that technically my landlord is the one who owns the bottle I found, but...I won't tell if you don't. [Note: Some might be wondering why I'm digging in the dirt and planting things when I'm only a renter. The answer is that 1) I like plants and flowers; 2) there's virtually NO attention paid to the landscaping whatsoever, so the few shrubs/etc. that are here haven't been maintained since, oh, probably the 1970s, and I like an attractive living space; 3) my landlord really doesn't give a crap what I do....within reason, of course; he probably wouldn't be happy if I decided to build/install a fireplace in the living room, but if I called him asking permission to plant some daffodils he'd just be annoyed that I wasted his time.] This weirdly reminds me of the time I was walking my dog in the flood plain behind my parents' house and letting him run around a little, and he's off scratching at the dirt doing dog-things 100 feet away, and suddenly he comes bounding up to me, full of joy, carrying in his mouth - oh god, what does he have, please tell me that's not a bone off an animal corpse - a really beautiful 2-ft antler! It wasn't even the season for deer to be shedding antlers, and there were no other antlers anywhere, but my dog managed to find one anyway. He was very proud of himself for his extremely cool find. (So proud, in fact, that he refused to give it to me until he got tired of carrying it.) Thank you all so much for all of your assistance! You've been very useful and eager to help, and I greatly appreciate it! Now I feel like I should go digging in my yard just to find stuff for y'all to identify.... :)

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
We rented-- I've dug up silver-plated objects, a 1940s toy fuel tanker, coins, guns--in the past. They don't own it, do they? Our last rental property, the owner opened up the floor and I asked, "What's that?" referring to the tin tray with some sort of red tool on it laying in the dust-- or so I thought. Turned out to be some sort of Motorcycle pinball machine from the 1970s. He told me to keep it. As for doing things to rentals... our last one only remained standing because of us-- never was it up to code, all sorts of violations and hazards from collapsing ceilings to bad wiring to asbestos and leaded paint... By the way, my favorite type of flower is the Daffodil. :D Although our last rental was a disaster, and the owner rarely did anything (or followed up on promises-- did I mention it's his fault that mom got permanently injured there because of something that should never have happened and is unacceptable in ever possible way? Or that we didn't know about the asbestos and leaded paint till it was too late?) He was still a good guy nonetheless because even when several rental payments were not able to be made, we never got an eviction notice. I think we got behind to three or four month's rent once. He also repaired the leak in the roof and got a new fridge machine, even if it leaked sometimes. Lol. Lot of memories in that house-- a lot of good ones too. Although, honestly, I always feared one day I'd come home to a burned out house with my then dead pets in it... you have no idea just how badly wired it all was. I think I just did a light rant?Amazing what you'll find-- unexpected things in unexpected places. The toy Shell tanker was in some leaves beneath thorns by a wrecked 1940s shed (once a well house or something that we couldn't use because of a 8-foot-deep hole in the floor) and guns when digging a hole for a tree-- always fun. Lolz. The Lake is what got me started with bottle hunting-- walking along I suddenly feel something odd with my feet (in the water) and I pick it up only to discover it was a 1940sish Coca-Cola. Mom thought it was a repro and told me to toss it. XD So glad I didn't. The lake later would turn up most of my best bottles. Perhaps you'll be just as blessed. I recommend woods near houses before the '40s, lakes that you feel safe going into that were once heavily used, and if you have a crawlspace or attic.... Under a porch, even. I must add, though, that recently in a creek I found a whole bunch of bottles from the '40s on... shattered though. T_T Lots of places to search. Don't get too addicted! Welcome aboard--you'll never leave. Stuck with us forever! Muahahahahahahha.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Some of my Double Cola cans. LEON.

Attachments

• 234df56cf100402181d4004102216709.jpg
    234df56cf100402181d4004102216709.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 85

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members