need help on blob top soda bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bottleman

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if anyone out there knew where this bottle is from. It’s a pony blob top soda bottle and stands 7 ¼ inches high. The only markings are the letters D.G.W. embossed around the sides. They are all evenly spaced out so I can’t tell what order they go in. Someone told me this may be from Philadelphia but I am not sure so I am asking all of you collectors.

Thanks, Tom (Bottleman12)

Us55139.jpg

Attachments

• Us55139.jpg
    Us55139.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 77

TheDiggerBoy91

Reaction score
D.G.W. probably stands for the glasshouse that made the bottle. (The last 2 initials probably stand for Glass Works) I would say it's from the 1880-1900 period.[:D]

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Dyottsville Glass works operated in Philadelphia,Pa. from 1833-1923.This may be why your friend suggested Philly'.Unfortunately,their trademark was "Dyottsville"
This link suggests there might be another possibility:

http://www.myinsulators.com/glass-factories/bottlemarks3.html

Check under the "W"s'

For what it's worth...

KAT

Bottleman

Reaction score
I agree with LadyP, that site is very helpful! I personally think the letters stand for the name of the company that sold the bottle instead of the name of the company that made the bottle its self. I still have no idea what they stand for though.

Thanks for the help, Tom

bigkitty53

Reaction score
I'm inclined to agree with you Tom.Glasshouse trademarks are usually found on the bottom of the bottle in the US.English bottles often had the 'marks on the body but down just above the base and not so prominant.Does your county library has business directories from 1880's-90's that you can check?

Good luck!

KAT

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tasha85