Need help with history on bottle found in farm field in North Dakota

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ericpaulson

Reaction score
My brother found two of these bottles in a farm field in rural North Dakota. They are identical, both having an embossed cross on the face, and on the bottom it says "Root" in curly letters with the text "unlawful to refill". I learned that Root Glass Works was the original maker of Coke bottles in the 1900s-1910s, but these bottles say nothing about Coke on them. Can anyone help me find out more about these bottles?

bottle1%20%282%29.jpg

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Hi, Root had a fruit jar factory as well. It was bought by Ball around 1908 and operated until about 1912. Then it was bought by someone else.
I think that may have been when the name changed. I couldn't find anything for sure on that. I'm also not sure about the script lettering.

David E

Reaction score
Just have this in my notes
ROOT 1901-1932
and ROOT in script 1901-1909
from Toulose
Dave

ericpaulson

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the significance of the cross on the bottle is, or what the bottle was originally used for?

Thanks!
Eric

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I'm not seeing the cross, can you get a better pic or maybe a pencil rubbing? Is a like the Red Cross cross, maltese or what? Nice bottle either way and a great vase if nothing else.

ericpaulson

Reaction score
Look closer at the front of the bottle. It's a fairly large embossed cross covering about 1/4 of the length of the bottle, near the top.

capsoda

Reaction score
Looks like one of those Catholic chruch wine carafts. With "unlawful to refill" on it, it can't be to old but it is neat.

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960