need help

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bnunzio

Reaction score
i have been colecting for a while but still have no idea on determining age. Any suggestions of books to get?

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hello Bnunzio and welcome to the Forum." Bottles, identification and price guide" by Michael Polak Third edition has a good segment at the front of the book on bottle marks, lips, bases, and moulds that help identify age. Kovels also has a little bit on it as well. Hope this helps, Kelley

IRISH

Reaction score
Hi bnunzio,
a member here Oz-riley also has some good info on bottle dates on his website.

http://www.users.bigpond.com/oz-riley/

Maine Digger

Reaction score
All I can say bnunzio is read, run to shows, and rummage through flea markets and yard sales! The beauty of this life is the new discoverys you make and all that you learn along the way! I have found my public library very helpful in obtaining books regarding bottle values, history etc. The great thing is you can check out the book for free, and then if you find it worthwhile, you can pick one up for keeps at Borders, Amazon etc. As an aside to Gunsmoke and you regarding the Michael Polak 3rd edition - the pictures are all reprints from his first two (some of which came directly from someone else's price guide.) and just to add salt to the wound, I purchased his 4th edition and yup, the same illustrations. Also the bottle values he provides are seriously on the high side. But as for a guide for someone starting out - go for it, at least you'll pick up some good knowledge about the interesting varieties of bottles - But check out the library first, IT'S FREE.

crozet86

Reaction score
Hi,
I've found that the easiest way to learn is go to antique malls,flea markets,etc.Handle
as many as the older pieces that you can and study the mold lines and how they were
made.It took me a very long time to even get close to guessing age of the bottles.Im still
learning everyday and probally will forever!......lol

Eddie

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorginaAc