Need some advice please

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mikepietrello

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Do you know those rare bottles with the curls on them? I think they're called scroll flasks. They come up on ebay sometimes and go for good amount of money. Are there many reproductions of these? I know a guy that has one and said he would take 350.00 dollars for it, It is a solid aqua color. The price seems steep but I am not sure because of the color. How do you tell if it is authentic? Can the pontils also be reproduced?
Thanks,
Mike

GuntherHess

Reaction score
yes there are reproductions.

My advice is do not spend $350 on any bottles unless you know what you are buying. If its a common scroll flask that's probably way too much money.
I recommend you try to find a bottle show near you. Go there and talk to some dealers who are selling scroll flasks. Look at them closely, pick them up and handle them. You will quickly learn what is real. We can tell you but its not the same thing as first hand knowledge.

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hi Mike and Welcome -
If you could take/get a pic of it, we can tell you more about it.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Being aqua increases the odds it's real but decreases the price. In general $350 would be realy high for that but there are exceptions.

epgorge

Reaction score
For that kind of money I would ask the man to qualify the bottle. What is its nomenclature or McK or Gx #. I would ask him what book is he quoting from. If he is just charging you on a whim and you don't really know which scroll flask you want then go to eBay and buy one for $80. There are many differnet sizes and colors and pontils to choose from. Before I would pay $350 I would have to know what it is and do I want it for my collection. Good luck.

Joel

ps if you can't find what you are looking for let me know and I will help you find one.

mikepietrello

Reaction score
Thanks guys,
I'm going out to see him next week and I will get some more details. I have recently taken a great interest in bottle collecting since I discovered a cache while metal detecting.
It's good to know I can get such great advice as I learn the ropes.
thanks again,
Mike

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2